hotfishgirl

smokin bluefish

69 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, peanutbunkerandjelly said:

Sometimes during smoking I'll glaze it with maple syrup and a touch of brown sugar. I do real low and long like 8-10hrs smoke.

20150621_200138.jpg

20150712_201102.jpg

Looks like red meat

I was once given a Bluefish. It was one of a four man limit carefully tossed into the water of their bilge not bled on a long 90 degree summer day. I can make a nice meal out of a nice Alder smoked bluefish spread over some fresh Italian bread. It wasn't me of course but someone has put a serious beating on them. Hopefully there will be more material to smoke this year. OR maybe I'm just a lousy fisherman.

13 hours ago, CcCstriper89 said:

Might have to try this out this summer. Not a huge fan of bluefish but you guys are making it look decent. 

It will ruin smoked salmon for you, it’s that good

I just tried my recipe with mackerel and i love it.At least big macks are a piece of cake for me to catch.

7 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

I just tried my recipe with mackerel and i love it.At least big macks are a piece of cake for me to catch.

I told you last year that the big mackerel we run into all the time would be perfect for smoking.

The smaller ones would be perfect for smoked fillets in a tasty oil.

I bet you start serving king size sun dried smoked cunners at your outings.

On 6/6/2018 at 1:00 PM, hotfishgirl said:

Macs smoke great with same brining / smoke recipies.  Try butterflied (just headed and gutted) vs fillets - more different than you’d think.

Oh the poor maligned Mackerel. If you go anywhere else in the world the fish mongers have four or five different varieties and people want them. I've had it kippered(whatever that is)  wet smoked and it's filets fried and they're not bad if you like fish that tastes like fish.  I've also has some mackerel sushi but it tasted a lot like bait. Catching mackerel is a "piece of cake" unless i promise someone we're gonna make bait. 

Do you bleed them out and fillet them the moment they hit the deck or do you just gut them and throw them on ice? 

Posted (edited)

I wish we got some mackerel down here to smoke!  I keep intending to go catch some herring in the winter but never do.  My blues I skin, cut into loins and cut out the brownline before brining for at least 12-24 hrs and smoking for 4hrs @180 with peachwood. I put them right on the grates, at such low temp it's super easy to clean up, just let them soak for a little while in the sink and it brushes right off.  MES 30" smoker with external smoke generator. This season I want to try a cold smoke, after freezing them of course!

I like it on a bagel with cream cheese and a grind of fresh pepper. My son the mountain man likes the dry tips so much he slivered a filet before brining to make trail jerky.

IMG_20160428_202928628_th_modified.jpg.f1fe804463ceb84cd24053e50e47adbe.jpg

Edited by gellfex