hotfishgirl

smokin bluefish

69 posts in this topic

Start with fresh iced down fish.Do not leave your fish laying around in the sun or you have already started the cooking process.I make a marinade consisting of soy sauce,ginger,fresh crushed garlic,brown sugar,orange juice,bourbon,water,black pepper,and crushed red pepper.I marinate the filets with skin on for 24 hours.I then place the filets in a cool spot on oven racks with a fan blowing on them for 1.5 hours.I then place the filets in my smoker and cook them slowly for 3 hours.I use apple wood and the marinade i used gets put in the liquid pan in the smoker .

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3725454/width/933/height/700]

I put this in the mass fishing section because i only felt like sharing with the locals,if thats ok:).If not i understand.

Could I do this in the oven and get a similair product. Obviously no smoke flavor. But how would it be?

There's been a lot of talk of the noble Bluefish as of late. This is a good thing! I love catching them, and they taste good as well! Never did understand all the negative hubbub about them - besides ripping up people's $40.00 lures!  LOL!

Could I do this in the oven and get a similair product. Obviously no smoke flavor. But how would it be?

I never tried it but if you want to try another good bluefish recipe try this

Bluefish D'jon.

place skinless filets on a baking sheet.Broil the fish until half done.Spread d'jon mustard over the top and the put bread crumb mix over the d'jon and bake at 350 until finished.The crumb mixture is plain bread crumbs,salt,pepper,fresh crushed garlic,butter,parsley,and lemon juice.You want the crumb mix to be able to clump up in your fist but don't make it too moist.

I never tried it but if you want to try another good bluefish recipe try this

Bluefish D'jon.

place skinless filets on a baking sheet.Broil the fish until half done.Spread d'jon mustard over the top and the put bread crumb mix over the d'jon and bake at 350 until finished.The crumb mixture is plain bread crumbs,salt,pepper,fresh crushed garlic,butter,parsley,and lemon juice.You want the crumb mix to be able to clump up in your fist but don't make it too moist.

Cool I will have to try that one. I usually blacken them in brown butter with capers and lemon juice. Love me some bluefish!

HFG You almost have a NannaJean backed bass recipe.

mayonnaiseand Dejon mixed to taste and spread over fish. Sliced purple onions,red peppers and a can of peeled tomatoes dumped on top.

bake on oven.

@ HFG...What about salt? Is this recipe still considered a brine or is it a straight up marinade? I thought brining needed salt? just curious cause loved smoked blues as a kid, there was an old timer down the cape we would give him our fresh catch and he would give us already smoked blues, now my nouth is watering.

Start with fresh iced down fish.Do not leave your fish laying around in the sun or you have already started the cooking process.I make a marinade consisting of soy sauce,ginger,fresh crushed garlic,brown sugar,orange juice,bourbon,water,black pepper,and crushed red pepper.I marinate the filets with skin on for 24 hours.I then place the filets in a cool spot on oven racks with a fan blowing on them for 1.5 hours.I then place the filets in my smoker and cook them slowly for 3 hours.I use apple wood and the marinade i used gets put in the liquid pan in the smoker .

What about salt? Is this recipe still considered a brine or is it a straight up marinade? I thought brining needed salt? just curious cause loved smoked blues as a kid, there was an old timer down the cape we would give him our fresh catch and he would give us already smoked blues, now my nouth is watering.

there is no added salt to the smoked bluefish because the soy sauce is loaded with salt so no need to brine.

If en you hold that smoked bluefish outside I will find you faster than a black bear.

I have vacuum sealed and froze a ton of it.I will bring you some next time we go fishing/seal hunting together.