Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mainefinn05

Saco

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Fished a common area last night on foot. I had three surface in front of me but no takers on chunk, plugs or an eel pattern. However, I did get to see busting fish at dead low, well out of reach for me on foot but close enough to a pair of guys in a boat. Unfortunately they didn't realize what was going on until the blitz was done. It probably lasted 20min and was encouraging to see but frustrating at the same time.

Fished down to P.P. last night on the incoming tide, 7:30 to 11:30 or so. Had a small school or some free roaming mackerel in the area snatch the worms off my float-rig a couple of times but not enough that it hindered my fishing  My buddy picked up a couple of shorts (14 & 16" maybe) and a decent-sized 25" all thrown back in the drink. I saw a good sized sturgeon jump out of the water a ways off shore just out of casting range (for perspective that is, I certainly wasn't targeting them. One did the same thing off the beach in Old Orchard the other night wen the conditions were unfishable, high surf and a load of seaweed. A baby seal had washed up on shore, poor little guy looked like he took a prop to the head and he was entwined in a mass of seaweed. Anyway getting back to last night, I only managed one fish on the evening, a nice 27" that put up a decent fight. Conditions were pretty nice for fishing, overcast with a slight breeze, choppy surf but by no means rough.

P.S. Have ya been down to Hills at all lately? I haven't made it out there as of yet, been trying to but time has been short as of late....luckily that's gonna turn around now that school is out and my daughter's softball is over. Maybe I'll see ya down there some time, I love it down there.............especially when looking across and seeing that Camp Ellis Jetty chock-full of googan white buckets!!!!

Actually I was at Hills from about 4-6pm last night. Of course the busters were on the other side but way down at the bend in the jetty. I have yet to get anything at hills this year but its been a mixed game of jumping between boats and dealing with the frustrations of my own boat, but that's part of owning a $350 deal. The sturgeon have been active for well over a month down there and I see numbers on a regular basis. I was just happy to see busting fish and the time/tide was encouraging as well.

I saw the same thing 2 weeks ago I stopped by in the rain on sunday, only one there I saw the gulls going nuts. but apparently, our to far is different because I garbed my 8 footer and a couple plugs and headed for them by the time I got 2/3's of the way there a couple guys in a whaler came down stooped jumped up over the jetty and landed a few fish by the time I got there it was all but over they had moved way out of reach, should of asked them for a ride back to main land ;) It was good to see and no I probably wouldn't "run" out there again but...maybe

Ya Seadogs, I hear ya but when you can see the surface chomps at the bend on Saco side from the bar on Hills side, you know its really really big macs. I'm outta work in twelve minutes and gonna hit googins side this time around, plug bag and one stick as opposed to the whole kit. We'll see what happens, gotta feel the tug soon or else somebody is gonna call someone about me...

Was out there Saturday AM around 4:30, took the skunk, saw no fish at all, let alone a Mac, the wind was brutal coming up the gap into the pool, maybe that had something to do with the poor fishing at the time.

Carbon copy of yesterday afternoon,, but this time I was on the other side. Missed one fishing try to pay attention to fish outta reach behind me. Walked out to the dog leg on the Camp Ellis jetty.

I was out on the boat Sunday afternoon with the kids to drop some lobster traps and pick up some mackerel for bait. Found tons of macks, all good size. Kids had a good time landing the macks.

Had enough to fry for dinner, with a bunch left over for lobster bait.

PM me if anyone wants to go out with me on the boat some time.

Ish.

Much the same for me last night, tried my luck at Pine Point with sandworms (about the smallest damn worms I'd ever seen) but not even a sniff of a fish. I'm wondering if this warm weather has driven the bait offshore? A couple buddies of mine went down to Camp Ellis yesterday and couldn't jig up a mackerel between them. Of course I have no work and no kid this weekend and plan on fishing it hard but this heat has me wondering if there will be many fish around?!? 

found about 40 acres of bait off South OOB/Ferry Beach (Saco) this morning. 100's of birds working them nearly as far as you could see in any direction. If they get pushed onto the beach tonight the stripers will be on them, hard. Also landed many nice bass up to 36" & 18lbs

We got into a big school out on the boat around 7:30 on the Saco. They were busting bait all over the place!!! It was nuts.

All of 'em about 12" :D

You're doing better than I Ish. That's a size class we didn't see last year. I'll be out on a boat, along with every other knuckle head, sometime this weekend.

Knuckleheads? This is nothing up here.

One of the things I really love about boating and fishing up here is that there are so few people around. You should see what it's like in NY. Tons of people with more money that brains at full throttle all the time, and crowds of boats at every good fishing spot.