Iannotti

Van Staal Reels REALLY worth the money?

Rate this topic

597 posts in this topic

If you are going to spend VS type money then get a ZeeBaas reel. Unless you need a smaller reel such as the 150. Better made and they do not have the hourglass line retreive problem that VS has. More money but if you go just a bit more and get a lot more. Just my ignorant opinion.

I've owned all these reels, durability and confidence the VS comes 2nd to none, Stella has the finesse and that smooth as silk drag that cannot be beat. The hour glass line lay on the VS does not affect it's fishing abilities. The Z has a smooth cast as well as a a smooth drag, I do not have confidence in them unless it's a 1st. generation Z.

Carlos

The hour glass is pain in the a$$. It's the main root cause problem responsible for wind knots. Now, before you call me hater, keep in mind that I own 4 of the VS...and I can tell you these reels are not more durable for example than the Shimano Sustains I owned for about 8 years. The VS are expensive to maintain and they are more problematic than my other reels...There are situations that they worth the $$$..such as wet suiting or fishing in an environment that you dunk your reels...Other than that...it's just a waste of money unless of course you feel good about owning them...

I think they are worth it and the last couple of weeks I thought long and hard about getting one. Ultimately I didn't, not because my reel won't get dunked but I don't think I fish enough to justify the cost. So I settled for a Saragosa, a high quality reel that will last and easily cleaned. Actually I don't think I settled and I have a few hundred left over for other gear.

But if you fish and dunk your reel allot, then yes i would get a VS or ZB.

I believe if a person is questioning a purchase of a VS in reality they do not need it - I am a family man like a lot of other fellows here - I saved my dimes and when I came across the right deal I bought a VS 200 and I am glad I did - in the long run I saved me money.

Ok, my 2 cents...and just my opinion.

Let me 1st say I have several Van Staals and enjoy using them...but I only bought them over the past few years, after I could comfortably treat myself.

I do like 'em, but I can tell you nobody NEEDS a VS or ZB to fish. That's right...not even for dunking.

My friends and I fished Penn 704's & 706's exclusively for over 30 years, almost ALL of that was hardcore wetsuiting since 1980. Those Penn 704 & 706 reels endured countless nights being reeled underwater, dropped in the sand and abused overall...we simply converted 704's to manual rollers, drilled the spool cups, upgraded the drag washers and machined the lower spool edge to minimize sand grinding against the spool cup. All they needed was regreasing and a quick cleaning yearly that a monkey could do in minutes...and I was the worst with maintenance, yet none of mine froze on a fish. Nothing fancy, but they caught thousands of fish.

That said, my Van Staals are a pleasure to fish with...they're definitely smoother, have infinite anti-reverse, more precision built, and need less tear downs...but I can easily pick up one of my old 706's, swim with it all night and catch just as many fish, at any time. Many of my friends, hardcore wetsuiters, still use their Penn workhorses all the time.

I hate to think many people believe a sealed reel is REQUIRED for dunking, when you can do the job with a more economical option. I'm not saying 'don't buy a VS or ZB', as I own 'em and love 'em...just sayin' VS's and ZB's should NOT be considered necessities for someone looking to surfcast or wetsuit, nor will they provide any edge in catching a striper. Just like a Chevy pickup and a Mercedes sports coupe...one is more refined, impressive and a status symbol, but they can both get you where you want to go.

I'd hate to see newcomers believe they NEED a reel that expensive to properly fish. If someone has the extra money to spend with no regrets, then it's definitely worth the investment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beached View Post

Ok, my 2 cents...and just my opinion.

Let me 1st say I have several Van Staals and enjoy using them...but I only bought them over the past few years, after I could comfortably treat myself.

I do like 'em, but I can tell you nobody NEEDS a VS or ZB to fish. That's right...not even for dunking.

My friends and I fished Penn 704's & 706's exclusively for over 30 years, almost ALL of that was hardcore wetsuiting since 1980. Those Penn 704 & 706 reels endured countless nights being reeled underwater, dropped in the sand and abused overall...we simply converted 704's to manual rollers, drilled the spool cups, upgraded the drag washers and machined the lower spool edge to minimize sand grinding against the spool cup. All they needed was regreasing and a quick cleaning yearly that a monkey could do in minutes...and I was the worst with maintenance, yet none of mine froze on a fish. Nothing fancy, but they caught thousands of fish.

That said, my Van Staals are a pleasure to fish with...they're definitely smoother, have infinite anti-reverse, more precision built, and need less tear downs...but I can easily pick up one of my old 706's, swim with it all night and catch just as many fish, at any time. Many of my friends, hardcore wetsuiters, still use their Penn workhorses all the time.

I hate to think many people believe a sealed reel is REQUIRED for dunking, when you can do the job with a more economical option. I'm not saying 'don't buy a VS or ZB', as I own 'em and love 'em...just sayin' VS's and ZB's should NOT be considered necessities for someone looking to surfcast or wetsuit, nor will they provide any edge in catching a striper. Just like a Chevy pickup and a Mercedes sports coupe...one is more refined, impressive and a status symbol, but they can both get you where you want to go.

I'd hate to see newcomers believe they NEED a reel that expensive to properly fish. If someone has the extra money to spend with no regrets, then it's definitely worth the investment.

good answer

all I'll say is when I walk out to the tip on the N Jetty @ Barnegat or walk away from the parking lots @ M I'm relieved that I'm using a VS, i.e. no reel problems

as far as the line lay on their spool goes, when I replace my line and it gets near the end I always wrap the center of the spool manually and fill that gap with about maybe 20 yds or so and it *always* stays that way after it gets wet.....don't ask me how or why but it never returns with that hour glass effect ..... JMHO ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iannotti View Post

Had a guy in the tackle store today asked me how come I ain't using one and I flat out said it was the price. Asked about what makes them so much more money and the response was built to last, durability, can go under water no problem and wont mess up the gears etc.. 

So to Van Staal owners that have use them, do you feel they are worth it compared to say the average 150-200 dollar Penn or similar reel when out on the surf? Have they held up much longer and are able to get submerged over and over without any issues?  

I don't think I will buy one just yet, but curious to know how current owners feel. 

Yeah,the guy asks you why you don't have one like their the same price as other reels.You should have told him ,thats why everyone  doesn't have one ......If you do a lot of fishing in places that require a dunk-proof reel and you can afford it ,go for it.I just cleaned and lubed a reel (Battle) that got dunked earlier this year.It took me about 20 minutes or so to disassemble ,clean ,lube and reassemble ,reel cost me 75 bucks,to each his own.

I am going to bet that in most cases with high end tackle it's fashion over function. Sure some guys really need the sealed reels. Most guys don't.

So if you use one to look cool it's not worth the $$.

But if you fish and dunk your reel allot, then yes i would get a VS or ZB.

Agree

And if you want very near the same abilities for far less $$ get a Penn 706 and pack it with grease.

Even if you have one of the high end reels I recommend having a 706 as a backup.

Having a VS or ZB simply as a backup reel is financial stupidity.

I've had all three makes and still have two so I speak from some experience.

Yes and no. Before my vs and saltiga I had a lot of reels for surf use. 2 704s, bunch of penn 550s, couple of shimanos and daiwas. Had to have more than a few back ups. Now I basically have 2 reels - a 200 and a saltiga 4500. I don't need more than that because they don't break and they aren't expensive to maintain (when they do need maintenance, which is not often). That being said they certainly aren't needed to fish in the surf. Many think that for some strange reason you need a waterproof reel to fish the surf. There were quite a few fish caught from shore before the first vs was ever made. You just have to take care of your tackle.