Van Staal Reels REALLY worth the money?

Rate this topic

Iannotti

Had a guy in the tackle store today asked me how come I ain't using one and I flat out said it was the price. Asked about what makes them so much more money and the response was built to last, durability, can go under water no problem and wont mess up the gears etc.. 

So to Van Staal owners that have use them, do you feel they are worth it compared to say the average 150-200 dollar Penn or similar reel when out on the surf? Have they held up much longer and are able to get submerged over and over without any issues?  

I don't think I will buy one just yet, but curious to know how current owners feel. 

Here is a link to the new version

http://amzn.to/2vShqXp

Edited by scoobydoo

They are just status symbols for surfcasters.However they have never gummed up on me toward the end of the season like my Penn Zs would do. A mid season cleaning would of taken care of that problem though. A $200 dollar Penn with some care is all you will ever need for a life time of surfcasting.

Peace

Frank II --- If anyone needs me, I'll be in my MAN CAVE, rotating the laundry. - C.C.A. - American Littoral Society Tagger w/ 61 returns - Vietnam Veteran U. S. Army,  Grand Pa of 6

It's a tool that is specific for a purpose.

If you surf fish over 100+ days a year it's worth it, it'll hold up.

If you fish wet and the reel gets submerged often, it's worth it, it can handle the abuse.

If you don't, then it's overkill, there are other (tools) reels that will fit the need just fine for far less money.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

Is a Cooper Rifle worth the money? Yes. Is the Van Staal worth the money. Yes. Is a Zeebaas worth the money. Yes. With all, you get what you pay for. Will another brand pretty much do the job. Yes. If it makes you feel good. Then, yes. You don't need a Van Staal reel. You want a Van Staal reel. Only if the want doesn't sacrifice a need.

Is a Cooper Rifle worth the money? Yes. Is the Van Staal worth the money. Yes. Is a Zeebaas worth the money. Yes. With all, you get what you pay for. Will another brand pretty much do the job. Yes. If it makes you feel good. Then, yes. You don't need a Van Staal reel. You want a Van Staal reel. Only if the want doesn't sacrifice a need.

Well said my good friend.

Carlos

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post

It's a tool that is specific for a purpose.

If you surf fish over 100+ days a year it's worth it, it'll hold up.

If you fish wet and the reel gets submerged often, it's worth it, it can handle the abuse.

If you don't, then it's overkill, there are other (tools) reels that will fit the need just fine for far less money.

I just may hit the 100+ times a year hell I could go 5 days a week, the GF wouldn't like that tho! , not sure how many of those days will be in the water though with waders as well to justify it being beaten up that much, def not all 100+ . But I could see myself doing 50+ in waders and having to deal with the reel getting banged up and submerged. 

Seems like a great reel and you do as always get what you pay for. 

When you fish with a VS your fishing with confidence. It is worth the money if you are the type of Surfcaster who fishes at least 5x a week day & night. Once you own one you won't look back, you will become a BELIEVER!

Carlos

I agree 100%. before i got mine id worry about my reel not working half way into it, something failing of whatever. even about sand in it or excessive dunking. id skish, rock hop and fish beaches with 704z's becaue i figured it was a cheap alternative. Great reels but the type of abuse i put them through destroyed them. Since owning a VS and getting my second next week, i dont look back im very confident in my gear doing what i want it too.

besides it makes you look cool, and thats most important :p

i dont thiink its just how much you fish but how you fish. I have other reels that are years old and have been fished and work fine. they dont go in the water though. i have a few vs and have on a number of occasions had them so jammed with sand I could barely turn the handle , hold it under water and grind the sand out, no problem. most of my fishing is done in the water on a rock and have never had one fail. i have a few that are maybe are pretty old (paid around 400 new). i am sure a lesser reel would have been replaced a few times in the time and end up costing more.

When you buy a quality product like ZB/VS you can eliminate some of the variables (potential failures). This will help you focus on the fish. VS customer service is bad, really bad. But their product is so reliable and simple to repair that I still rate them #1.

You can find scratched VS reels for $400-$500 here on BST. I'd buy one of those.

:th:

“All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.”