versell

Secret to underhand casting from a boat?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Use as short a drop from the tip to lure/weight as you can. You can rarely if ever get a backward stroke to load the rod. You have to load the rod on the forestroke then release the cast. If you have a long drop it is much harder to load the rod.

I'm bringing this one up.

Only recently learned on a party boat trip that people were casting out diamond jigs for striped bass. It was my first time. All the other videos I've seen were people vertical jigging. Now if you were in the bow or stern, you had the room to overhand cast. But otherwise, underhand casting has been a challenge. Went out to the pier the other day to practice a bit. It was hard to grip the rod well, keep my thump on the spool, and still be able to leverage the rod enough to get a good rip.

Anyone see a difference by the type of reel seat, trigger, palming, regular style, do any make it easier or harder? My rod has a palming seat and I felt like I couldn't grip well enough. Also, does it make any difference if you have a long handle or shorter one?

Hard to get distance with a conventional that way.  I would have to say try the opposite of what Mike Y suggests.  Keep a few feet of line out of the tip and use the weight of the jig to load the rod back just clearing the hull and then pitch it forward.  If you don't load it back you're either going to backlash or the jig will end up falling 2 feet away from you.  

To each, their own. Personally, I've hit the hull plenty of times trying to load on a backward underhand swing. Of course I then loose any load I had in the rod.

On 6/5/2012 at 0:49 AM, versell said:

What's the secret to underhand casting a good distance from a party boat?  Is it in having a rod with a slow tip, is it in the line used or what?  Your experienced advise is appreciated.

Tossing from the bow is easiest as you can swing your bait under yourself 

some say its the magician, not the wand

On 12/4/2018 at 2:07 PM, Fly By Nite said:

Hard to get distance with a conventional that way.  I would have to say try the opposite of what Mike Y suggests.  Keep a few feet of line out of the tip and use the weight of the jig to load the rod back just clearing the hull and then pitch it forward.  If you don't load it back you're either going to backlash or the jig will end up falling 2 feet away from you.  

Exacly- but dont keep out a few feet, reel the jig all the way up to the rod tip, and if you can hold it out some and away from the hull then swing back toward the hulll to load the rod.

Loading the rod when casting a jig is easier, cause you can, and really load the rod.

Casting a rig, little more difficult, cause you actually, have a foot or two hanging, so, when you load the rod, theres a good chance of wacking the hull, like Mike Y., and now your "force" is gone, unless you can, finagle it , if there no one along side of you, and flip a little to your right, to try and load the rod, it is hard for me to explane, cause i speak snapanese.

Casting a conventional,  you also need an educated thumb, otherwise you wind up with a birds nest which always interesting on a party boat.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 12/4/2018 at 2:00 PM, Jewjitzu said:

I'm bringing this one up.

Only recently learned on a party boat trip that people were casting out diamond jigs for striped bass. It was my first time. All the other videos I've seen were people vertical jigging. Now if you were in the bow or stern, you had the room to overhand cast. But otherwise, underhand casting has been a challenge. Went out to the pier the other day to practice a bit. It was hard to grip the rod well, keep my thump on the spool, and still be able to leverage the rod enough to get a good rip.

Anyone see a difference by the type of reel seat, trigger, palming, regular style, do any make it easier or harder? My rod has a palming seat and I felt like I couldn't grip well enough. Also, does it make any difference if you have a long handle or shorter one?

I know its been a while since you posted this but i carry a slower rod for this purpose.  Like everyone else said keep your tin 6" from the tip and give a good snap action.  Practice this technique with your mag set appropriately to eliminate having to thumb the spool as much.  Im at the point that i dont thumb the spool and allow the mag to stop my tins when needed.

Edited by igomez
Spelling

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:40 AM, igomez said:

I know its been a while since you posted this

I just noticed this goes back 6 years...…...Short butt rod,two handed cast.right hand over reel,the other on the butt and a quick snap.