versell

Secret to underhand casting from a boat?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

What's the secret to underhand casting a good distance from a party boat?  Is it in having a rod with a slow tip, is it in the line used or what?  Your experienced advise is appreciated.

Ther's no need to cast away from the boat for alot of species especially while over or wreck.For blackfish,cod,sea bass,ling,tiles I don't think there is any need. If your jigging or squidding for cod,fluke or pollock and wanna flip it up tide then I could see you using that technique repeating as needed. It's only when the action dies around the boat then I will flip it away from the boat to try new area.

There's a couple of species I completely forgot about!, striped bass,blues,weakfish and tuna which I always flip my jig away from the boat and either jig or squid for them. I can't believe I left them out!

Like Billy said you have to practice and practice and try a little further each time. It also pays to have a reel with a smooth freespool and good quality line. Good luck. I first learned when I was a young kid with an 8ft jigging stick and a jigmaster then upgraded to a Shimano Speed Master IV which has a super high retrieve which made those jigs move fast which those blues loved! Any further questions feel free to PM me...John

Go stand on your picnic table and do it until you can do it. There's no real big secret to it. The only way it is hard is if you are trying to cast a 1 oz bucktail using a tuna rod and a 4/0 senator.

What are you trying to cast? If a jig it does take a little practice flipping it a distance while still controlling the spool as not to backlash.

Casting overhand while fishing a party boat is WAY more fun then casting underhand. Its also a great way to make a lot of new friends. Now, before I get accused of being "goofy", all of the above advice is very good, especially the picnic table advice. When you can cast underhand while eating a hot dog at the rail you know that you have mastered the art. :)

I'm new to this as well. I've practiced casting a 9 oz cod jig with an almost 8 foot rod by standing on the picnic table pushed up to the edge of the patio. Difficulty is not pitching it into traffic, front yard isn't that deep.

I'm new to this as well. I've practiced casting a 9 oz cod jig with an almost 8 foot rod by standing on the picnic table pushed up to the edge of the patio. Difficulty is not pitching it into traffic, front yard isn't that deep.

Go ahead and let one fly. A Prius puts up a pretty decent fight.

Go fishing a lot and practice

Agreed...its basic fishing 100. You start with a red an white bobber catch a few sunnies in your local mud hole. Before you know it you'll be an expert at the under handed throw.

What's the secret to underhand casting a good distance from a party boat? 

Having a good grip on the reel.

It's really a matter of experience and knowing how much line to let out and how much force necessary so that you can flip to the spot you want.

Practice practice practice!

When you start out use mono or a long enough mono topshot that the braid isnt exposed until the lure or sinker is in the water. Keep your thumb on the line when you cast using light pressure, otherwise a birdsnest is inevitable.