Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stresst

Need help purchasing a chainsaw

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I am looking for a midrange quality chainsaw for my pops, he has some land upsate which occasionally has some trees across the road, sometimes he clear area's to make blinds, etc. Need something powerfull with 18-20" bar. Where do I begin? Dont want to break the bank but dont want no craftsman or poulan crap.....I was browsing Stihl's website but with dozens of models and no prices I am lost!

Any help is greatly appreciated! One thing he is looking for is a unit with the EZ Start feature which come on some Husqvarna's and Stihls. Thanks in advance

It's a matter of preference with stihl and husky. I have been a stihl user most of my life. I recently blew up a pretty young stihl and I am very meticulous. I chalked it up to ethanol.

I switched over to a husky rancher and love it. I heat with wood and cut all winter. The 450 or 455 would do everything you describe and more and has an anti-compression valve for easy pulling.

The only consideration is that it is a little heavier than a smaller saw. I am not sure how strong the old man,s back is but that could be a consideration. Extra power is never a bad thing in a saw as long as you can physically manage the saw.

I'm a Stihl guy as well, but to be honest you can't go wrong with either Stihl or Husqvarna. 

I highly recommend the Stihl 362, although it may be more than you're looking to spend.  I am in love with this saw, haha.

A more affordable, yet still a beast of a saw, is the Stihl 250 CBE.  It's in the $3-350 price range.  

Good luck.  

My Stihl chainsaw still runs good after 22 years of using it for maintenance and a bit of clearing on my place. Can't speak for the newer chainsaws but I did buy a Stihl string trimmer about six years ago. I work it hard and it too still runs like a champ. Always use the ethanol treatment.

My son bought an 018 Stihl (16" bar) and it is a reliable little saw perfect for the occasional use homeowner. I've got an older Woodboss 025? that still runs pretty good after 24 years. Recently had some problems with what seemed to be starvation or lack of gas - put it away and chalked it up to age. Saw on the web that the filter (on the end of the fuel pickup line) sometimes gets fouled, so I opened up the gas tank to look and found the problem - no gas! A chain saw isn't like your lawnmower. When it runs out of gas it doesn't just stop. It runs bad for quite a while because said pickup sometimes gets gas and sometimes doesn't when the tank is low.

I cut about 5-6 cords of wood a year for my woodstove. I have had a few huskys for many years with fine results. I can't see you going wrong with one of these. I personally feel an 18 is the best overall size if you are going to have one. There is a big weight dif going up to a 20 making it somewhat overkill for small jobs IMO so be aware of that while looking..

I currently have a Stihl and like it a lot. It replaced a very old and well used Homelite, which in turn had replaced an older and harder worked Macullogh.

The Stihl runs quite well, starts every time, and has all the power I can handle at my age and reduced physical capacity.

When I bought mine, I negotiated a trade for one size longer bar & chain than normally came on the saw. I don't cut really large diameter wood, but reasoned that a few extra teeth on the chain should equate to a bit of extra life over time.

I dress the chain with a few strokes with a file every time I fill the tank ( both fuel & bar oil) , use fresh high octane gas with stabilizer and always empty the tank and run the saw dry between uses. The bar & chain come off before storage for cleaning in a solvent bath, making sure the chain groove in the bar is mucked out with a wire brush, then re-oiled and put back on.

Every commercial tree guy I see around my area runs Stihl.

I am looking for a midrange quality chainsaw for my pops, he has some land upsate which occasionally has some trees across the road, sometimes he clear area's to make blinds, etc. Need something powerfull with 18-20" bar. Where do I begin? Dont want to break the bank but dont want no craftsman or poulan crap.....I was browsing Stihl's website but with dozens of models and no prices I am lost!

Any help is greatly appreciated! One thing he is looking for is a unit with the EZ Start feature which come on some Husqvarna's and Stihls. Thanks in advance

stresst,

I agree with either Stihl or Husky have owned both. It wouldn't hurt to go to an Authorized Dealer and tell them exactly what you need. Doesn't mean you have to buy from them, but they should be able to give you a few options. I would rather have a saw that was overpowered than under.

Goodluck,

Fox

Yep it's hard to go wrong with either Stihl or Husqvarna. I own both. I used to make my living as an arborist and have used both brands extensively. Now that I'm just a home owner I have a smaller, climbing size Stihl (30cc) and a larger Husqvarna(71cc). Kinda like fishing gear, it depends on what your cutting.

If you can only have one saw, a mid size or 'ranch' saw is a good way to go. These saws are typically 40-50 cc. You can get a second bar for the saw if you like which will give you greater range. This size saw will give your arms a bit of a workout if you use it for any length of time.

Take a critical look at what you need to cut. You may be able to get by with a smaller and therefore lower priced saw. For the occasional user both of these brands offer consumer versions that are going to last a long time with proper care. With a longer bar and some finesse (sp?) a small saw can cut a decent diameter tree.

Other than sharpening the chain periodically the only other important maintenance item is saw storage. Mine can sit for long periods of time. Leaving fuel sit in any small engine creates problems. I've never had a problem getting parts for either brand.

This is one tool where you really do need to pay attention to the safety advice.

Purchased a Stihl 250 C-BE last year for a cousin who lives in Europe. It was in the low to mid $300 range here, about $6-$700 Euro in Europe.

After doing some research I visited a local Stihl dealer and with a short answer/question session, this is what he recommended for what my cousin planned on using it for. I ended up purchasing one myself as well.

Size and weight are nice. Saw is pretty easy to use and not too heavy for extended use. Friend of mine has the Farm Boss and although it's more powerful, it's also heavy.