Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jinforthewin

Fishing line to hang up painting?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I have a painting that's about 3 or 4lbs that needs to be hung up right behind the tv.  I don't have a steel wire that I'm supposed to use, but I do have 40lb mono and/or 40lb braid.  Think it's a good idea? 

I don't think so. I would get some wire. If the braid wears down or the knots give the painting hits the ground. Sure it may hold for a while but if it eventually fails, are you willing to loose the painting? I have used braid for things in my back yard and eventually it fails. Try it as a temporary solution but i wouldn't let it go for the a couple years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_tin_squid View Post

Is the painting in question fishing themed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazybellringer View Post

I don't think so. I would get some wire. If the braid wears down or the knots give the painting hits the ground. Sure it may hold for a while but if it eventually fails, are you willing to loose the painting? I have used braid for things in my back yard and eventually it fails. Try it as a temporary solution but i wouldn't let it go for the a couple years.

It's my 14 month old son's hand painting so yes, it's super expensive! If I can get a year or two out of it, it'll be worth it! thanks guys

I've been using mono to hang paintings for years.  Most times, the little rungs it's connected to(that go into the picture frame) usually come out, never had the mono break on me.  Had paintings up like this for 10+ years. 

It's my 14 month old son's hand painting so yes, it's super expensive! If I can get a year or two out of it, it'll be worth it! thanks guys

Hang it up!