Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Instant, Guaranteed Restart

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

A subject for speculation. Suppose you wanted to be able to cut your engine and drift a surfline, plugging jetties and so on as you go. Assume that the first time you don't get an engine restart, you die. What type of powerplant do you want, choosing it for absolute reliable restarting in all conditions - almost cold, very warm, etc.?

And since some day it won't start anyway, what would you like as a backup for one-push instant start reliablility, after (presumably) not using that backup for months before?

I've been chewing on this intermittently ever since someone died under Montauk Light (this is at least ten years ago) plugging the surfline at night in a Whaler. May have had an engine failure; may not have paid enough attention to the waves behind. The latter is not a problem susceptible to mechanical solution. Be curious as to what the serious boatmen here say about the first half.

Brian, I don't think that I would ever be in a situation where I would die if I did not get a restart. But if I am working a piece of structure that could cause serious damage to my boat or me I will leave the engine in neutral at idle. If I am completley comfortable with the drift/wind/current I will kill the motor as long as the drift is taking me away from the rocks.

Sensible answer. I am more sensible then the question may suggest; the largest hull I've ever owned is a pair of SOSpenders for whem I'm sloshing around a dropoff. .. but it's an intriguing question. Ditch Jigger may remember the csae; the guy was a veteran (I remember thinking that he was a pinhooker, though that may nto be true) and was regularly snuggled up close to Montauk Light at night in a Whaler. Don't recall which model ... anyway, the boat flipped and he died. It's a situation where an anchor might take too long to hold, assuming the engine was the problem. There's also another charter captain at Montauk who scared witless a couple of good fishermen I know by trolling for bass in the wash, a procedure that might be even riskier then cutting the engine.

I think - FWIW - if I wanted to work a hard patch at length, without an engine and with surf and wind at my back, I'd want to deploy two anchors with a lot of chain and a sentry on each one, and sorta ease back into casting distance. But you'd really want a nonfishing pair of eyes watching over the bow, and you'd still want that ability to restart in an almighty hurry. Nice technical problem, hah?

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2000 at 4:49 PM, BrianBM said:

Sensible answer. I am more sensible then the question may suggest; the largest hull I've ever owned is a pair of SOSpenders for whem I'm sloshing around a dropoff. .. but it's an intriguing question. Ditch Jigger may remember the csae; the guy was a veteran (I remember thinking that he was a pinhooker, though that may nto be true) and was regularly snuggled up close to Montauk Light at night in a Whaler. Don't recall which model ... anyway, the boat flipped and he died. It's a situation where an anchor might take too long to hold, assuming the engine was the problem. There's also another charter captain at Montauk who scared witless a couple of good fishermen I know by trolling for bass in the wash, a procedure that might be even riskier then cutting the engine.

I think - FWIW - if I wanted to work a hard patch at length, without an engine and with surf and wind at my back, I'd want to deploy two anchors with a lot of chain and a sentry on each one, and sorta ease back into casting distance. But you'd really want a nonfishing pair of eyes watching over the bow, and you'd still want that ability to restart in an almighty hurry. Nice technical problem, hah?

You're problem is you think about things waaaay too much.

don't kill your engine, don't worry, it won't kill the bite, and have fun

6 mins ago, makorider said:

don't kill your engine, don't worry, it won't kill the bite, and have fun

Interesting ... just had “my” mechanic say the exact opposite - not about the circumstances but about the idling. 

Might be because I have a Merc 2003 90hp 2 stroke with a gazillion hours on her, but he advised no idling for longer than 5-10 minutes ... something about the unburnt fuel and oil buildup .... y/n/bs?

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, Africaster said:

Interesting ... just had “my” mechanic say the exact opposite - not about the circumstances but about the idling. 

Might be because I have a Merc 2003 90hp 2 stroke with a gazillion hours on her, but he advised no idling for longer than 5-10 minutes ... something about the unburnt fuel and oil buildup .... y/n/bs?

carbon buildup.  Particularly around the rings, to the point where they don't float then you have issues.  Big issues.

Not a big deal, decarbon with seafoam every 50-75 hours and don't look back.

Edited by makorider

A friend just got a whaler with an older 90 Merc on it that will be fluking in the bay a lot now wondering once he gets it to where it starts reliably should he turn it off. I'll mention it to him  about the seafoam

On 7/4/2000 at 2:55 PM, BrianBM said:

.............Assume that the first time you don't get an engine restart, you die................

6 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Comments in 2019 to a post made in 2000.  Yikes.

Hopefully in the last 19 years you've gotten smarter (a lot smarter, actually) and would no longer even consider fishing in a spot where if your engine didn't start on the first crank you'd lose your life?  :)

On 9/23/2019 at 6:34 PM, JoeyZac said:

Hopefully in the last 19 years you've gotten smarter (a lot smarter, actually) and would no longer even consider fishing in a spot where if your engine didn't start on the first crank you'd lose your life?  :)

Probably not smarter.  The comment earlier that I overthink things is doubtless correct.  Give me a squirrel to chase and I can go all day.   :)  The unfortunate gent whose death provoked my original post must've had good commercial reason to be where he was ... that's water that the late Capt. John DeMaio used to fish with light bucktails, too.

I spend entirely too much time contemplating how I'd spend the first couple of millions from a big lottery win.  Right now, it'll be a 60' walkaround with a Seakeeper gyro stabilizer , a Skyhook location keeper so I needn't anchor over a wreck 800-1400' down, and a few 12 v. outlets for powered reels. Cranking 3 lb. sinkers up and down to change tilefish baits can get old real quick.

I may want bait tubes big enough to house bluefish or large legal bergals to deploy at varied depths for makos. Enough engine power to get back and forth to Oceanographer Canyon quickly would be fun. Maybe a CODOG (combined diesel and gas turbine) installation? Perhaps Arneson drives (another favored squirrel)?

No four-poster bed at sea for me. This will be a fishing machine with bunks. I will need to rent a captain and mate to run the thing and a good cook at home in a galley. Me, a couple of guests, what fun it all would be.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Me, a couple of guests, what fun it all would be.

With a power ball type win the vessel would be manned by Hawaiian Tropic bikini team members. That's how Mully rolls :th:

TimS