If no parents taught their children about religion...

Rate this topic

Gamakatsu

That would be a society of ethics without morals. In other words, you'd know when you were screwing someone or they were screwing you without anyone stopping. One would not need to go anywhere ... it is hell.

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Religion cracks me up.

The same people that think their kids will go to a place full of fire and red skinned demons if magic water isnt rubbed on their head by someone make fun of other religions and consider them cults.

No offense to cult members or believers anywhere. Religion is one of many moral compases one can follow. Its just a highly cryptic and financialy demanding one.

Sharpshooter: Were it not for Judeo Christian ethics and morality we would have a world that is vastly different and not in a good way. Moral and Ethical utilitarianism or relativism ultimately lead to almost anything being able to be justified by virtue of the utility of the act or the culture in which one lives. Yes we have people who subscribe to one or both of those philosophies in our nation in grate abundance.

I am grateful we have a God who is moral and just and offers us salvation if we choose it.

I've read many of Justice Holmes' opinions.

When first I read Buck v. Bell, many years ago, his tone and choice of words struck me as a too-sweeping advocacy of eugenics; Holmes' language was chilling.

From Wiki:

Critique

Holmes was criticized during his lifetime and afterward for his philosophical views, which his opponents characterized as moral relativism.

Holmes's critics believe that he saw few restraints on the power of a governing class to enact its interests into law. They assert that his moral relativism influenced him not only to support a broad reading of the constitutional guarantee of "freedom of speech," but also led him to write an opinion for the Court upholding Virginia's compulsory sterilization law in Buck v. Bell, 274 U.S. 200 (1927), where he found no constitutional bar to state-ordered compulsory sterilization of an institutionalized, allegedly "feeble-minded" woman.

Holmes wrote, "We have seen more than once that the public welfare may call upon the best citizens for their lives. It would be strange if it could not call upon those who already sap the strength of the State for these lesser sacrifices, often not felt to be such by those concerned, in order to prevent our being swamped with incompetence. It is better for all the world, if instead of waiting to execute degenerate offspring for crime, or to let them starve for their imbecility, society can prevent those who are manifestly unfit from continuing their kind The principle that sustains compulsory vaccination is broad enough to cover cutting the Fallopian tubes. ... three generations of imbeciles are enough."

While his detractors point to this case as an extreme example of his moral relativism, other legal observers argue that this was a consistent extension of his own version of strict utilitarianism, which weighed the morality of policies according to their overall measurable consequences in society and not according to their own normative worth.

"Who is John Galt?"
Who?
You?

Hasn't just about every society had some kind of religion?

From Sun God, to the Great Leader to the Christian God every society has some sort of spiritual person who claims to know things others do not.

It is a part of being human.

Religion serves the purpose of explaining the unanswerable questions for us mere mortals. it provides comfort, and gives strength to those who feel the need for it.

Of course, being human, some folks will use a good thing for evil, and for their own gain.

it is a shame to put down something that is obviously essential for many folks well being because of the actions of a small minority.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Fishinger View Post

things would probly be much, much better overall

most kids would still learn right from wrong

without being corrupted by the make believe religion of wherever on the globe they happen to be located

no pedophile priests

no mullahs

no koran

that would be great

History does not agree with you. The worst atrocities have been committed by Godless societies. 

History does not agree with you. The worst atrocities have been committed by Godless societies. 

sure Mao, stalin, hitler were great killers (great meaning awful)

godless but also communist and fascist

those were atrocities at a brief point in time

then compare that to women living under Islam since the year 610

or the slow near extermination of the native races in North and South American under the Spaniards and english since 1492

it is a shame to put down something that is obviously essential for many folks well being because of the actions of a small minority

I try hard to never offend, hell even discuss, religion with people. I respect your right, even if you choose islam. I dont always respect the leaders, sometimes I do though. I can think of a few catholic priests who seemed like great men to me as a kid, listening in the pew with my family. (anyone remember Father Coffey, Wrentham Mass in the 60s and 70s?)

things would probly be much, much better overall

most kids would still learn right from wrong

without being corrupted by the make believe religion of wherever on the globe they happen to be located

no pedophile priests

no mullahs

no koran

that would be great

Sorry Henry, whose right and wrong? Yours? The commissars? The Nazi's? Who? And who the hell are they? Do you know right from wrong? And if I don't agree? If we kill enough Jews, we'll have a great society, therefore, I am good and right. If we starve the ukranians to death, the peoples paradise will follow, therefore I am good and right. Kill the intellectuals and the capitalist roaders and we will have the people's paradise. Drive everyone to the country and empty the city and boy, will things be good for everyone!!!!!

You are shortsighted and historically ignorant in the extreme. I will take religion over the athiest paradise anyday. Spare me.

Sorry Henry, whose right and wrong? Yours? The commissars? The Nazi's? Who? And who the hell are they? Do you know right from wrong? And if I don't agree? If we kill enough Jews, we'll have a great society, therefore, I am good and right. If we starve the ukranians to death, the peoples paradise will follow, therefore I am good and right. Kill the intellectuals and the capitalist roaders and we will have the people's paradise. Drive everyone to the country and empty the city and boy, will things be good for everyone!!!!!

You are shortsighted and historically ignorant in the extreme. I will take religion over the athiest paradise anyday. Spare me.

Knight I know all that stuff you are talking about, relax. I'm not one who preaches or believes in any atheist paradise, dont lump me in with your worst idea of a non believer

let me ask you, does it matter what religion the right from wrong & moral compass comes from?

can it be Judaism

is islam ok

or just christianity?