Home Poured Rubber For the Kayak Angler

I have to guess at this point seeing as all my gear is buried somewhere in my garage or cellar, but I'd estimate around a solid 4 1/2-5 oz.'s. That's the first one which is again around 9 inches and casts fairly well. If you stick to one closer to LD's original design, you shouldn't top off more than 4oz at around 13 inches. Per usual-they were fun projects and I learned a lot from my mistakes while taking great satisfaction when hooking up on them. I don't think Larry's own original has hit the market yet, even though it's been advertised on the outdoor channel during the airing of his show. I know I've been choppin' at the bit to cast an original WHIGG! Good luck in the goop factory. :D

"For our discussion of kayak angling is no trifling matter but is the way to conduct our lives, nobody untrained in fishing may enter my house."- Fly's Plato

Yeah and a fair amount of plastisol too! I could be wrong- I never threw it on a scale. Which reminds me that I need to pick up a digital scale, just for fishing! That's why I built the 2.o version- a little lighter yet different enough to set it apart from being a carbon copy of LD'S.

"For our discussion of kayak angling is no trifling matter but is the way to conduct our lives, nobody untrained in fishing may enter my house."- Fly's Plato

Hey BK It works fine off my PC. When I try to access my videos on youtube from my phone I can only view a fraction of what I have loaded on my youtube channel from my cell. All my videos have music beds and are produced by myself. What I typically do is use music that I like and fits the appropriate video I'm producing at that given moment in time. I'm not trying to garner views using One Direction and Katy Perry music beds. All that aside, they're not going to play on your cellphone. It has something to do with copyright when "borrowing" the original artists or record labels product. :D As of right now, I have yet to produce a narrative fishing videos such as SOL member and author John Skinner. Who by the way produces really good informative kayak videos- kudos to John Skinner! So that being said BK-you can view my videos if you so choose on a computer. Youtube has not yanked it down yet. Thanks for trying to view my video on your phone or other devices. :D

Great post here! Didn't read the whole thing yet but don't know if this question has come up. I was wondering can these plastics be poured with a hook in the mold.

What I mean is like the slug go for instance you can buy them plain or rigged . I know people rig them I do it myself but was I curious if anyone has tried to set the hooks up in the mold before pouring them? Would save a heck of a lot of work if it worked!

Also if I had a plastic that I really liked & can't seem to find anymore can I get a mold or have a member pour some for me?

Great post here! Didn't read the whole thing yet but don't know if this question has come up. I was wondering can these plastics be poured with a hook in the mold.

What I mean is like the slug go for instance you can buy them plain or rigged . I know people rig them I do it myself but was I curious if anyone has tried to set the hooks up in the mold before pouring them? Would save a heck of a lot of work if it worked!

Also if I had a plastic that I really liked & can't seem to find anymore can I get a mold or have a member pour some for me?

I've embedded weighted hooks similar to the tsunami or storm shads. I've also done a trailer hook attached to the front hook using an assist hook found on vertical jigs. The hot plastic didn't affect the kevlar cord at all. I haven't tried it with a standard tandem rig mainly because I personally don't think the braid or the Dacron, depending on your rigging style, would hold up to the hot plastic. I was always concerned about the plastic melting the braid. But like I said I did it with an assist hook and it worked. I'll post pictures of it a bit later.

I've embedded weighted hooks similar to the tsunami or storm shads. I've also done a trailer hook attached to the front hook using an assist hook found on vertical jigs. The hot plastic didn't affect the kevlar cord at all. I haven't tried it with a standard tandem rig mainly because I personally don't think the braid or the Dacron, depending on your rigging style, would hold up to the hot plastic. I was always concerned about the plastic melting the braid. But like I said I did it with an assist hook and it worked. I'll post pictures of it a bit later.

I thank you for your quick reply I see what you mean about melting! I guess it would work with wire? Just curious I myself am a fly tier and am always looking for new ideas.

I thank you for your quick reply I see what you mean about melting! I guess it would work with wire? Just curious I myself am a fly tier and am always looking for new ideas.

Wire would be no problem but it'd kill the action of the plastic. Usually I tandem rig my sluggos and my custom pours using either 65# or 80# power pro and I've always chalked it up to it'll probably melt and I just rig them with the rigging needle. I just took the ring off the assist hook and looped a swivel in its place. Slipped the swivel loop over the hook and down to the bend. Then just prop up/ position the hooks and pour the plastic.

Wire would be no problem but it'd kill the action of the plastic. Usually I tandem rig my sluggos and my custom pours using either 65# or 80# power pro and I've always chalked it up to it'll probably melt and I just rig them with the rigging needle. I just took the ring off the assist hook and looped a swivel in its place. Slipped the swivel loop over the hook and down to the bend. Then just prop up/ position the hooks and pour the plastic.

I know fluoro has a melting point of around 350 deg fahrenheit & is the temp it is extruded at, that's pretty hot, not sure how hot the liquid plastic gets but I think the braid or dacron might be ok being that it is fiberous & not created using a melting process to begin with.

Ya gotta do this one, I think a pour test & a pull test is in order here ;)

Curious to hear the results if you do

I know fluoro has a melting point of around 350 deg fahrenheit & is the temp it is extruded at, that's pretty hot, not sure how hot the liquid plastic gets but I think the braid or dacron might be ok being that it is fiberous & not created using a melting process to begin with.

Ya gotta do this one, I think a pour test & a pull test is in order here ;)

Curious to hear the results if you do

Next time I pour I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt. Probably be a day or 2 with all this snow, but I'll definitely post my results.

Hey guys - here's some after shots of tandem hooks setups that were rigged pre-pour. I started experimenting with this a few years back after tiring of having to rig post pour. Rigging and pouring in this style eliminated having to bend Mustad hooks in the vice. Now I have a dependable headshot hook that's not going to shear when hooked up to super bass. This helps lessen the nightmares. I used a Mustad hook up front and attached, I think 80lb mono via a couple of crimps to a circle hook in the rear. I've also tied uni-knots with zip ties to hold the tandem in place for multi-hookups. The other thing that was brought up earlier with Flytyingguy1 regarding finding a particular blend of plastic one likes and re-pouring it or having someone else do it-yup. There's plenty of product out there to experiment with to find that right consistency that flips your switch. One can add a softener to make the plastisol more pliable or a hardener to lighten it up a bit. Just let your creativity be your guide and you'll figure out what needs to be solved. Plus having the internet at your fingers tips is pretty awesome as well. Twenty-five, thirty years ago we'd be screwed, sitting round waiting for some fishing magazine or book to help guide us through all these conundrums.