The Riddler

Home Poured Rubber For the Kayak Angler

393 posts in this topic

Riddler , do you think the gulp baits could be recycled this way? I have a bunch of gulp mullets with no tails. It would be cool to be able to make a new bait and throw it back in the juice to recharge.

I have a bunch of the same mullets with no tail. I just slice them in half lengthwise and put them on a teaser for fluke. The teaser can be either a dressed hook (bucktail) or plain hook about 12-16" above a Spro bucktail. The fluke will still hit the Gulp, even without the tail.

I have a bunch of the same mullets with no tail. I just slice them in half lengthwise and put them on a teaser for fluke. The teaser can be either a dressed hook (bucktail) or plain hook about 12-16" above a Spro bucktail. The fluke will still hit the Gulp, even without the tail.

That's a good idea, I have cut them in half also and used them on porgys.

Riddler , do you think the gulp baits could be recycled this way? I have a bunch of gulp mullets with no tails. It would be cool to be able to make a new bait and throw it back in the juice to recharge.

I don't know anyone who has tried to melt it. I think it's water based product but you never know. Pryex cup and zap it in the microwave is one way of melting. See if it hardens. If it works, let us know.

I don't know anyone who has tried to melt it. I think it's water based product but you never know. Pryex cup and zap it in the microwave is one way of melting. See if it hardens. If it works, let us know.

Riddler, I believe you're right. I think Gulp is water based. If you've ever had one left on a hook, it dries practically rock hard. You need to then hack it off with a knife.

.......... and if you want them to look professional, and 2 color etc get injectors, twin injectors, plastic pots with stirs, injector molds .......... just beware ...... it's addictive ........... just like kayak fishing and rod building

Good ideas Water but I'm simple. Besides, my Striped Bass don't care about professional looks, they just eat it, and eat it hard they do. I think they seem to like cheap better. It's like a plug with scraped up paint or a fly that is on it's last strands and fish keep slamming it harder. :)

........... lures are not about the fish ........ they are about the fisherman, my friend ............ some just want to catch fish and some want to catch fish in style ............ fish can be caught with some line wrapped around a can, a weight, hook and bait as they do in the poor countries/areas or with custom rods, plastic/metal/feather lures and expensive reels as we do here ........... it's not about fishin ....... it's about Makin Memories ...........

I have been looking at pouring some soft plastics .Thank you for posting the info I think I will use the WM mold for now.I have lead molds ,and Kayaks so this is just another vise.My wife will be thrilled I am looking at another fourm!

Gulp melts at a much lower temp than regular plastics and I'm not sure if it still has the same consistency after cooling.....

Personally, I like to add bunker oil to all my soft plastics meant for stripers! It is quite compatible with the plastisol and seems to last forever! I have a lot of luck with the baits i pour from it. Caution though,... you need to have some VERY good ventilation when working with hot bunker oil! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have been looking at pouring some soft plastics .Thank you for posting the info I think I will use the WM mold for now.I have lead molds ,and Kayaks so this is just another vise.My wife will be thrilled I am looking at another fourm!

Welcome Texas. I kayak fished with a bunch of the TKF boys in Florida years back. Good people down there.

Whatever help that anyone of us can give you to get started just ask. I'm just starting to gear up again for the winter/spring pour. I have some new molds I have to make. I still have about 2 gallons left from the 5 gallon pail I bought a few years back and then also all the spent rubber that gets recycled again. l think the 5 gallon pail is the way to go. With shipping it will cost you around 160 bucks from Lurecaft. I use he 550 Strength or saltwater grade.

Here is an example of on the cheap. I bought two tubes of Walmart Mainstays White Silicone on sale for 2 bucks. The model I chose was a popular 14" Bait. I was able to make the mold for less then 5 bucks and poured 3 14" of the same baits for 47 cents a piece after buying a bulk 5 gallons container of rubber for 125 bucks. That's pretty cheap. The model is ready to go 100's of baits. Fish it, fish will slam it, recycle it! :)

Great stuff Riddler! Thank you :)