Ebbtide231

Black and White Images

Rate this topic

3,509 posts in this topic

I think many of started with B&W, try-X pan, developing in a closet... the hard way lol

So how about some black and white photos?

There are some I take with B&W in mind, others are converted because I can.

:)

I'll start off with this one taken in the basement of an antique store, taken with B&W in mind

antiquedoll.jpg

I turned the corner and saw that.

Didn't change a thing, shot it as it was.

I was a little scairt...

Now we're talking :)

Here's one from '74 or 5, scanned from a raggedy old print

tugboatBklyBdge.jpg

Minolta 101, tri-x pan, developed in 'the big closet' at my parent's house...

Sweet!!!!!............

I know Nauset will know this one

PICT0171.jpg

I snapped this one off while talking to the owner of that building on the left ........ in Memensha, MV

KidD, I don't know what you do for a living or if you ever had any official training in art or photography but I would not be surprised to hear you have a photo gallery show going on in NY or CA someday. Your style is truly unique and that alone can get you notoriety someday.

The ice (stellar, BTW) and harbor shots are some that I'd never think to process (or shoot) in black and white.

I guess living in the big city has me thinking and seeing hard edges and angles too much.

More like Jim's navigation light...

Funny how one can get caught up in something and not realize it...

Shows how good a forum like this can be.

One more

Lunch_Hour_5_11-1534-2.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post

KidD, I don't know what you do for a living or if you ever had any official training in art or photography but I would not be surprised to hear you have a photo gallery show going on in NY or CA someday. Your style is truly unique and that alone can get you notoriety someday.

Jim I'm glad you said this here and not face to face I'm as red as a beet .Wow how does one say thankyou to such a compliment? To answer some of your comments I've never had any training in Photography or Art completetly self taught .I have spent a lot of time trying emulate some of the greats like Ansel Adams though I've never been sucessfull doing so .Up untill joining SOL I didn't know I had a stlye I just shoot from the heart .If anyone likes or enjoys them to me this is icing on the cake .One thing I really like about SOL is there are a lot of talented generous and kind hearted members here on all the forums.I'm honored just to be a part of it.Notoriety I believe I've I just did thanks so much JimDe and all here.

KidD, photographers and even good photographers are honestly a dime a dozen. But a photographer who see's and captures light differently than all the rest is what makes them gallery ready. You do have a unique style and it would not be a surprise to hear you are having a gallery show in NY.

It does take more than just uniqueness it takes associating with those who do such things and can help you find the right people to move your work forward. Most times that comes with associations made in bigger name art or photography schools but every now and then a wild card makes it into the lime light. You could be one of them.

If I were you I would research this venue and see what it takes and what's doors need to open to make this a reality IF this is what you want. I have no real idea myself as I have only met a few gallery photographers in my life and most of them were speaking to our club about this and not with me directly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post

KidD, photographers and even good photographers are honestly a dime a dozen. But a photographer who see's and captures light differently than all the rest is what makes them gallery ready. You do have a unique style and it would not be a surprise to hear you are having a gallery show in NY.

It does take more than just uniqueness it takes associating with those who do such things and can help you find the right people to move your work forward. Most times that comes with associations made in bigger name art or photography schools but every now and then a wild card makes it into the lime light. You could be one of them.

If I were you I would research this venue and see what it takes and what's doors need to open to make this a reality IF this is what you want. I have no real idea myself as I have only met a few gallery photographers in my life and most of them were speaking to our club about this and not with me directly.

Since your last post I've given it a lot of thought .Some questions keep popping up is this for me? Do I even have enough images ? I've only had a digital camera for little over a year I'm still learning it I dont even have photo shop .Do I know the right people who can lead me in the right direction? Jim your not the first and hopefully not the last to say such kind things about my pics.I'm actually going to a family outing this afternoon and will run it by my nieces husband who has a lot of connections in Photo trade ( I at one time had connections ) he knows my stuff maybe something will come of it .In either event I'm going to keep at it along the same path for the time being.I enjoy what Im doing now if others enjoy it as well so much the better.Thankyou so much .