Sudsy

How about a "What the Hell is it ?" tool thread

Rate this topic

713 posts in this topic

Those might not be burn marks

The person who had it before me beat the poo out of it with a metal hammer and drove the wood forward. Those bands you see were under the wood and are mainly rust (this thing was a mess)

It's just a guess based on what I saw.  Heating the metal enough to make it expand an appreciable amount is risky.  The rate of expansion of steel is 6 millionths (Yes Millionths) of an inch per linear inch per degree Centigrade.  That's a lot of heat.

Posted (edited) · Report post

First pic shows the mashed end

Second shows how the wood was pushed forward

20200215_000310.jpg

20200215_000328.jpg

Edited by Sudsy

15 hours ago, oceanAddict said:

Bingo. We used to make those back in my army days when regular water heater boilers were prohibited in barracks. It works very fast too.

Yes, I did something like that, and than one day friend co worker dropped it on a sink, flash and all. Welded.

And you need to go metric, because this millionth of an inch descriptions don`t really work in modern world.

18 mins ago, glos said:

Yes, I did something like that, and than one day friend co worker dropped it on a sink, flash and all. Welded.

And you need to go metric, because this millionth of an inch descriptions don`t really work in modern world.

Me? I'm very metric even after 20+ years trying to adapt to the local system. I just grabbed the first video I ran across that was not 5 min long.  

29 mins ago, oceanAddict said:

Me? I'm very metric even after 20+ years trying to adapt to the local system. I just grabbed the first video I ran across that was not 5 min long.  

It was for tinman :)