Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alaskansteve

Cutting & hauling logs & pictures of new cabin

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Here's a bunch of pictures of us cutting some trees and hauling logs for the sawmill. All the trees are beetle killed standing dead spruce, they will only rot and fall down if not harvested.

tree1.jpg

TIMBER !!

tree2.jpg

he would go down the tree cutting the limbs & my job was to roll it over with the peavey & measure off the log into 8,10 or 12' lenghts.

tree3.jpg

stick the poles under the log & roll it up on the sled.

tree4.jpg

all loaded, strapped down & ready to go.

cabin1.jpg

The new cabin. All the lumber for the entire cabin has been cut from the woods around this cabin. The size is 14'x22', its all wired for 110 or 12 volt and has a solar panel setup to charge the battries.

cabin2.jpg

interior of cabin, all the panneling is spruce cut on the bandsaw mill.

cabin4.jpg

front door shot from stairs. Thats more spruce panneling drying in the stack.

cabin5.jpg

upstairs where the bedrooms will be.

Hope you guys enjoy seeing these pictures. I might be going out again this week to haul more logs, if i do i'll post more pictures of the works in progress.

I'm sitting here contemplating my day tomorrow, I have to decide if it's worth the money to put up with a PIA clients shitt.gif for another day. I'm looking at this thread and I've come to a conclusion.

You're a much smarter man then I am.

Spent many of winter working in the woods the winter pics brought back not only the sites but even the smell.

Thanks for the flashback.

Every time i'm out there it hits me what a huge beautiful place Alaska is, only problem is trying to get to see more of it. The smell of fresh cut wood is always good & makes you realize how hard life was for the early pioneers of this state, just imagine hauling those logs by hand or with horses & then cutting boards by hand with a whipsaw. Here's the only picture i have of the sawmill, he usally cuts during the summer so i'm out gillnetting then and can't get out there. The mill is about 24' long but he designed it to break down into 3 sections so it can be loaded into a sled or boat and taken to the job site. He's a real smart guy, there ain't much he can't build or fix! This shed is one of the first projects he did with the sawmill, had to have a place to store it.

P3180016.JPG

The sawblade runs on a couple of rubber trailer tires & its powered by a 8HP honda engine.

bigtree.jpg

This one is next. Its usally a 2 day job cause first you've got to put a trail into the area and then wait overnight for it to freeze. The work begins the next day cutting and hauling it out and hopefully not getting stuck & having to unload the sled to get free and then loading it again. Free lumber is a lot of work !

I'm sitting here contemplating my day tomorrow, I have to decide if it's worth the money to put up with a PIA clients shitt.gif for another day. I'm looking at this thread and I've come to a conclusion.

You're a much smarter man then I am.

biggrin.gif Smarter than me too! biggrin.gif

Looking very good Steve! icon14.gif

Dick Proenneke would be proud. I just finished One Man's Wilderness last night, what a great read. They don't make 'em like that guy anymore, but you guys seem to be on the right track. Enjoy the fruits of your labor! icon14.gificon14.gif