Baitfishing a live eel from a spike....

Rate this topic

bluefish

Mikeybluefish,

I have fished eels this way (fishfinder rig) with success and almost no tangles or choked to death eels. What I do is, hook the eel through the dorsal fin area, as close to the middle of it's body as possible. I also use small live bait hooks which don't give it a lot of room to twist and turn on.

By hooking it in the middle of the body, the eel can't really twist on the line with it's head or tail. Even when they wrap on the line with their tail or head, they just unwrap beacuse the rest of the body can't curl due to the hook in the middle of it's bck. When that happens they generally just swim up and down....openly inviting Mrs. Bass to dinner. One word of caution, don't put the hook too low in the body, you might sever the spine or cause internal damage and then it will surely die.

Kadir

good luck with the live eel off a fishfinder rig...the big winner off of that set-up sounds like a set-up itself...doesn't any one remember good old curve balls meant to keep the competetion off of your track...a few years ago someone I won't mention was convincing the gullible that skunk-scent outfished DR. Juice...maybe I am skepticle, but I have tried bottem fishing live eels and only was successful if they were dead...actually I rig and freeze leftovers and they do fine just dead and sitting there...good luck any way...

with sharp hooks and fresh bait
in a crepuscular dawn we breathlessly wait.
some repose in cathedrals and dream about fishin
I just keep smiling and let His hand shape my mission...
(*member formerly known as 'luker')

Having livelined eels from a spiked rod and undergoing at times some awful tangles and even having to cut the line to get it to move through the fish finder. I would still keep on trying to use this method as it will work. The secret is to hook the eel as Kadar has recommended. It is not perfect ,but close. The other thing is to allow the eel to swim and you do that by giving it line and if when casting you try to loop your cast the eel will be far enough away from the wieght and let it settle to the bottom on a loose line and not a tight one. Try it sometime and who knows you might be the fisher with the big one.Angler

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal