Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluefish

Baitfishing a live eel from a spike....

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

how would you hook the eel? i was thinkin' maybe the tail while using a fishfinder so the eel can swim freely AWAY from the terminal tackle....anyone ever try this? might give it a whirl sat......

It works, but it's not the optimal way to use a live eel. Hook'em under the jaw and out an eye socket. Cast and slowly retrieve, as you would a plug. Once they hit the water once or twice they calm down and are a lot easier to use. Smacking them on a rock is a waste of eel wigglies that should be spent on attracting a bass. a tethered eel works, but a fresh eel will tie itself in a knot. A tailhooked eel is useful in marshes - so I've been told by a Hudson River marsh eel guru - but I've never fished that way myself.

Yeah it works. Tail hooked in this case. The risk is a big old mess of eel and leader. If ya got some dead eels, might as well spike 'em. They likes dead ones too.

I would not recomend fishing a live eel on a spiked bait rod unless you are a very patient man and tangle expert! That eel will create the biggest nightmare out of you're rig! Amazing what that eel will do to to get away.....

If you're planning on doing that from a beach I would have to agree with cowhunter. But if you are fishing an inlet or someplace with a steady current it may work,only if the eel is not too lively or not left out there too long. I tried it at the ditch once ,it didn't get all balled up so what the hay give it a try.

Ive tried it it doesnt work unless the eel is dead . It will tangle until it strangles itself . Fish em with a cast and retrive till its dead then you can exchange it for a live 1 put the dead one on another rod and fish it still casting the live 1 retriev real slowly . LOL at CMstriper ill take what ever he doesnt want .

Funny thing....as we fished Demo point this weekend for the Fling...Squidlips talked to the guy who landed the winning 40# striper for the South Shore Classic...and whadda ya figger it ate?

How about a live eel fished with a 3oz Pyramid sinker in a sand spike? Just goes to show ya, the fish don't read these boards yet! wink.gif I'd still not rig 'em that way...but to that guy, he won a big tourney doing just that! Go figger?

TimS

For a 40 pounder I'd risk a few knotted up snakes too.Timing is everything Mickey.

In fishing you always have to be willing to try new stuff,sometimes you get surprised with results

There is a special rack that is used to fish live eels on a bait pole. It has a rod about 6 inches long and has two things to grab the eel and keep it stretched out straight. That way the eel can't tangle the line. I haven't seen one for sale in years though.

Salty, A guy at a bait store once told me to stick a shiv up the eel made of a sharpened coat hanger wire, dirty trick,supposed to keep him from knotting up. I think your idea is better but never saw that one.