Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimA

Plug Modifications

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

So I was looking at a yellow danny swimmer yesterday and I remembered that there was a post here recently on how chicken scratch seems to be a popular striper pattern. So I was thinking on giving it some black stripes, to give it that chicken scratch look. And I got to thinking, do many of you modify your plugs? I know that most of you change hooks immediately and I put a single bucktailed hook on the back of most of my bigger plugs. But I was wondering if many of you make other changes, loading plugs? painting on red to simulate gills? anything else? Our striper season is just about done here in Maine and I need something to keep me though the winter.

Here's a red fin that was beat half to death. A fresh coat of paint and a thin coat of envirotex and it's as good as new

RedFinrepaint1(e).jpg

------------------

"Any time a man ain't fishin' he's fritterin' away his life." - Rancid Crabtree

[This message has been edited by Sudsy (edited 10-08-2002).]

Thats a lot of weight you are adding to the redfin Sudsy, does it still swim?

I usually change all the hooks and split rings and I have been known to stripping the paint off wooden plugs and repainting.

Charlie

Charlie,

I wasn't sure if the added epoxy would cause a problem either. Turns out that there is no noticable difference in the action. A Red Fin is a very bouyant (sp?) plug to begin with however.

I have a Bomber on the drying rack right now. Being a heavier plug, I'm not too sure how well this will work. I'll let ya know after I give it a swim.

------------------

A magic marker on the sides of a clear, foil insert plug can do wonderful things.

I'll put a dressed single hook on pipped swimmers. Not everything but I usually try to have a bomber and a windcheater or three this way.

Loaded a Musso Super Strike stubby nedle fish to much so much that when i looked at it

during the retrieve was upside down.

so i repainted it so top was black with treble now up turned and bottom hookless is silver put single siwash on it with feather looks great in water crawls over ruffest bottom in the rips cast like a rocket

just havent caught notta , will keep trying and lett you guys no if the" rip rider" catches. Its tough to use somthing you dont have faith in though !

"witchhunter"

witchhunter,look at the Pink Musso in wood, I take this and a creek chub and put the 2 together like the blue one and the light green onein photo,,,,

I made one out of Alaskan Yellow cedar, I put no weight in them and they out swim anything out there....

pho2002_1006_191130AA.jpg

Loaded a Musso Super Strike stubby nedle fish to much so much that when i looked at it

during the retrieve was upside down.

so i repainted it so top was black with treble now up turned and bottom hookless is silver put single siwash on it with feather looks great in water crawls over ruffest bottom in the rips cast like a rocket

just havent caught notta , will keep trying and lett you guys no if the" rip rider" catches. Its tough to use somthing you dont have faith in though !

"witchhunter"

Have faith, I think If You have 3 needles 1 that floats but plunks down in water will Be killer and a slow sinker and a fast sinker for faster water will Help You outwink.gif in faithbiggrin.gif

I started carrying a Sharpie and doing a little dooddling. Added some lines and some dots. I also add a circle around the eyes to outline them. I think the plug that's been hot is a Big Don's swimmer I got at either Ft Washington or Berkeley flea market. I don't remember anymore. I got the circle around the eye from that.

------------------

SOL #669

Charlie M,

Adding a layer of paint to a Redfin or Bomber will not affect the action at all, as most of us load these plugs to the point that they are sitting 45 degrees in the water while floating.

Jimmy

Ive had problems with epoxy over plastic plugs. Once the water get under the epoxy it gets ugly in a hurry.

Uh Oh ! What kind of epoxy did you use ???

------------------