Battle 4000 gears

NuclearPKT

I bought a battle 4000 around august last year. After only a couple of trips out the main gear started to slip. I brought it to an authorized PENN service center and about 3 months later they got the new main gear in and replaced it. I just got it back about 3 weeks ago and was working well for about 3 20 lb stripers. Then it started to feel like a coffee grinder again. I took opened it up to regrease and inspect and noticed that the new main gear was already starting to corrode. Light pitting on top of the main gear and what looked like a grayish dust in the grease. I had it out this morning and hooked a small striper. Had to let the drag do all the work because the gear started to slip on me again.

Have there been any issues with the gears on the battle? I really want to like this reel but the durability in my mind is in question. I had another incident with the bail locking open also.

I bought a battle 4000 around august last year. After only a couple of trips out the main gear started to slip. I brought it to an authorized PENN service center and about 3 months later they got the new main gear in and replaced it. I just got it back about 3 weeks ago and was working well for about 3 20 lb stripers. Then it started to feel like a coffee grinder again. I took opened it up to regrease and inspect and noticed that the new main gear was already starting to corrode. Light pitting on top of the main gear and what looked like a grayish dust in the grease. I had it out this morning and hooked a small striper. Had to let the drag do all the work because the gear started to slip on me again.

Have there been any issues with the gears on the battle? I really want to like this reel but the durability in my mind is in question. I had another incident with the bail locking open also.

Good afternoon.....If you'd like,please forward the reel to the address below and we'll service the reel under a full warranty. Plus, we could hand that gear off to the QA/Engineering departments for evaluation. I think they would like to test the material in the gear.

Take care........Tom

Penn Reel Mfg.

Attention: Service Department

3028 West Hunting Park Ave.

Philadelphia, PA 19132