Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phil

Using bait without sinkers.

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

When I freshwater fish, if possible, I'll try not to use any weight when baitfishing. I just let the current do the work. I've read that with eels people often won't weight them down, but what about bunker? If one were to walk out on a jetty and toss a chunked bunker out and let the current carry it, would it be effective?

Phil i have seen this done a few tmies in my surf fishing career with a chunk and a clam...in certain places it is a definite advantage, in someplaces it is probably impossible...the rite current is needed for the rite drift/sink. try it out!!!

It's not the worst thing you could try, but there's other baits I'd be more inclined to freeline into current, peeler crabs and whole squid being a coupla of the more choice offerings at the right time and place.

Definitely a situational thing. I think on a jetty it would get washed right into the beach but that could be a good thing. I have used chunks without weight before and landed my very first Striped Bass using this method. This particular day was calm and there were rocks and no current.. I threw out and it stayed there with no problem..

I would stick with a fish-finder rig unless you're using braid in which I would use an Sliding egg sinker like some people I know..

Reason is that the braid has a tendancy to cut right through the plastic sleeve that is on the fish finder itself..

It takes some hardware out of the offer and that can't hurt.. Just try it and if it drifts too much, use the weight..

ErikT

When I fish the river from the banks I try not to use weight on my bunker chunks near the slack tide and it works fairly well. Once the current starts to rip, it won't get down so you have to put the weight on.

I've never use weigft on an eel from the surf but always when I use another bait from the beach.

You never know until you go I guess? Or try in this case?

I think drifting that chunk of bunker behind the rip ( if there is one ) that is formed by the jetty would produce? Give it a shot and let me know smile.gif

We often will drift chunks of bunker on a hook with no weight back in our chum slick if the action is slow, we have saved many days using this technique. If the fish are finicky I think the more natural presentation the better.

------------------

So this is what it is like?

[This message has been edited by Mr. Fish (edited 05-09-2002).]

Squidy- Do you clip their fins if they're swimming too much? wink.gif

------------------

tophat.gif

Fishin' ain't easy, but it sure is fun.

Phil, I do very well using whole squid & squid heads with no weight. Th best locations to try it at are inlet jetties on an outgoing tide. Try it- you'll like it a lot!

From a boat, my buddy and I do it all the time, again, depending on the current....if it is ripping too much, we add a fishfinder or an egg sinker. Actually, in Boston Harbor where he fishes, a sinker can be a detriment....the bottom has a lot of rocks and kelp beds (and lobster traps...."Dave, I can't get the anchor up....you rat, you dropped here on purpose so you could see me struggle cwm23.gif"), and a sinker can get you snagged more often than not....the egg sinker is best, cause you can weight it to have the sinker off of the bottom, yet get the chunk where you want it in the water column, and avoid the above stated problems.

From the shore......most likely not, but again, depends on the current, waves, etc.

Guys I saw last night were fishing whole (LARGE) squid without sinkers, but they were working them as you would an eel......

Thanks for the replies. I've seen squid pop up in several answers which leads me to another question. People use squid for fluke in NJ, but I've never, nor have I seen, anyone use squid for stripers. Is it primarily a New England bait? Do they not venture into our flat and barren landscape?

Steve In Mass

"and lobster traps...."Dave, I can't get the anchor up....you rat, you dropped here on purpose so you could see me struggle ")"

Ain't that the ballz! 90 degrees, no clouds, maximum current and a 23' twin screw Trophy! Come forward ....more, more! ugh, Alright, where's the dam knife.

PaulH

I use whole squid down here all the time, but I have to say that it is largely blues that attack them- not that I mind. I would post how to rig them, but I need pictures and I don't the capability. I'll see this weekend if there is a book I can recommend with the rigging proceedure.

Brian (or anyone else) - I would be curious to hear how you rig a whole squid. I have fished them on a ff rig with a tandem hook setup...one hook through the body (tail end) and the other snaked through the body cavity and hooked through the head. Rigging seemed ok but the only hits I get are from small bottom dwellers.