penn squall or avet sx

Rate this topic

Bluefish07

I have both, and the Squall is $149 and the Avet SX MC is about $200 (These are retail) of course you can find them cheaper if you dig. That being said, they are kind of apples and oranges. Graphite Star Drag vs. Aluminum Lever Drag.

So Best I can do is list my pros and cons

Squall

Pros: Cast very well, Light weight, Great size. Cost Less, Nice smooth drag

Cons: Line Capacity is quite a bit lower, Graphite Frame, Not US Made (If you care) Also noticed this reel did not handle sand invasion as well as the avet. first trip out it sounded like sand was in it and it was never dunked or neer the wash.

Avet SX MC

Pros: All Aluminum, Lever Drag is nicer than star (My opinion), line capacity Made in US, Cast very well (I am about = with distance between the 2). drag is about = to squall.

Cons: Heavier, Costs a bit more

That being said if I bought another, it will be an SX MC

I've had the SX MC it's a wonderful reel. In addition to the excellent analysis biofatty already wrote, I personally prefer the aesthetics of the Avet. The MC cast control can take a little getting used to but it is a very nice feature when you switch weights. One drawback to some users is the dry drag, greasing it may give you some additional sealing properties against the salt and sand. There is no real increase in drag ability dry vs. grease.

One other thing I should have mentioned...

The Penn Clicker is at least 2X louder than the Avets... You can still hear the Avet Cliker on the beach but the Penn Screams bloody murder when its hit.

You say you've achieved equal casting distance between the 2 reels. Is this out of the box?

I don't fish any Avets, but I do fish a squall 15 regularly. I used the reel out of the box at first. The results were so so from a casting standpoint. However, after cleaning and relubing the bearings, the reel turned into an excellent caster. The drag is smooth and strong. The reel sits quite low on the rod and is very easy to handle during the cast. I'm not sure what you'll be chasing, but if it's meant mostly for stripers then the line capacity is more than adequate. I've always preferred a star drag to a lever drag when fighting fish in the surf. I just find it easier to adjust the drag if needs be.

You may also want to consider the Penn fathom. After working on the squall I was able to match the distance I get from my out-of-the-box fathom ;).

I agree with most of what biofatty has stated however I will offer a couple of my opinions.

If distance is paramount, I would go with a squall.  No matter what I do to my avet sx mc (cleaned, degreased, upgraded bearings, etc.) it just feels sluggish and does not get out there like my other conventionals.  The avet mag system does not offer enough variability for me also, there are only 5 settings and 3 of them are useless.  I cast on the 2 or 1 setting which offers the least amount of magnetic braking, however I feel that it still has too much braking.  

I'm not sure how large or small your hands are, however the avet does sit very high on the reel seat and it also has the narrower/deep spool design which makes it sit that much higher on the seat.  If your hands are smaller, it makes it difficult to get your thumb on top of the spool much less apply enough thumb pressure while casting.  

The avet is however a winch of a reel with a good drag which is easy to take apart and clean/service.

While I do not own a squall yet, I have thrown and fished one quite a bit that belongs to a fishing bud of mine.  It throws and fishes great and I've seen it pull in plenty of large fish.  It may not be as rigid as an avet with the graphite frame, however it is light and sits low on the reel seat so that you can get ample thumb pressure on the spool while casting.  

My next conventional purchase will be a squall 12 or 15.

Quote:

Originally Posted by biofatty View Post

Yes, I am not a great caster by any means, they are both out of the box and I cast on level 2 on my SX and about 1/3 up on the Squall

Ryan

You should try cleaning the bearings and lubing with something lighter when you feel comfortable enough with the reels.   The stock avet bearings are PACKED with grease and its my understanding that the squall comes that way as well from the factory. 

Both reels should liven up considerably after doing so, you might notice it more with the squall...

i use two sx mc's and two mxl mc's on the beach for throwin bait. couldnt be happier with my reels, the sx are awesome little reals and pack plenty of drag to pull in pretty much anything, i pulled in two 4 foot sand sharks this past weekend with no problem what so ever, the casting is a lot easier than people make it out to be, i havent had any problems with mine and no birdsnesting or anything. and im using 30 lb powerpro.

good luck with whatever you choose

i had a avet sx i liked it a lot but then i sold it for the same price as i got it for like a year later so it wasn't a bad idea, now i have a penn squidder i like it better for casting. it also just feels better on the rod that i am using it on for surf casting and chunking off some bridges, but i am a big fan of the lever drag so thats the only real con i have on the squidder. from what i have heard the squall is just like squidder, i would like to get a squall in the future but the squidder is still ticking like a clock