Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
njrisurfcaster

Gloves/Hand warmth

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

I've started night fishing and with the wind blowing my hands get real cold. What are your secrets? I'm planning on fishing right through to the end of november in Jersey so I know its gonna get worse. You guys just stash a hot pack somewhere or do you wear gloves...or just tough it out?

Please share your expereinces...good and bad

Thanks

I've busted my left hand twice & my right hand 4 times. It's been a long time since I could straighten the pinky on the right hand. At 47 I'm starting to feel the aches & cold wet hands ache big time.

I bought the NFS Hydro Skins and used them in the rain & cold. They worked great though I paid to much for them $30 EMS. I can tie knots & when wet my hands are still warm. They will come in handy for cod fishing this winter.

hydroskins.jpg

I use glacier gloves. Also, make a fist when walking from one spot to the next to warm up a bit. Sometimes, your hands are just gonna be cold. When that happens, remind yourself that you are not far away from the winter doldrums. That'll warm your hands up quick wink.gif

I got a pair of fingerless rag wool gloves with liners a couple years ago while steelhead fishing. Work well until wet... then marginal. I also have the neoprene glacier gloves with the split finger. I don't really need the split finger, and it just lets water in anyhow. I wasn't too keen on that big velcro strap they have either.

I steel head fish with fingerless windproof fleece gloves. I put a chemical handwarmer in each glove between the back of hand and glove. As long as the handwarmer stays fairly dry my hands stay warm. I use a rag to handle fish as to minimize wet gloves.

ErikT:

Save your money, they don't live up to the hype. Good for 15 minutes or so, once they get saturated with water (and they do get saturated with water) they're useless. I've ended up using Aleutian neoprenes (there's a fisherman's model that has modified index finger tips) over polypropylene liners. Best solution I've found.

Still too warm for gloves, though...

I have to start wearing gloves at 45 degrees. start out with a light pair of wool or glove liners then work up to liners with tight woven wool and then eventually add those heat things.

Last december was the first time I wore gloves while surf fishing, luckily Tim had an extra pair and I made them mine. It was severly cold that nite with a 15-20 nw. they were wool and thinsulate gloves with the fingers cut off and they did the trick. My hands usually get cold the first 10 or 15 minutes while fishing than it seems like they acclimate, and if the bass are biting even better!