Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew C.

Increasing MPG

34 posts in this topic

OK gents --- here's the skinny on my 2004 F-250 Super Duty. I was getting 16 highway -- 13-14 local, for almost 215K. Since then there has been a steady but DRASTIC decline in mileage.I thought it was the seasonal gas additives scam for a while but it has gione on for too long. It was a fairly sudden decline over the last 10K mils. The 5.4 is well maintained, I thought, but does have original wires and injectors.

What would cause a sudden increase in fuel consumption after so many miles?

OK gents --- here's the skinny on my 2004 F-250 Super Duty. I was getting 16 highway -- 13-14 local, for almost 215K. Since then there has been a steady but DRASTIC decline in mileage.I thought it was the seasonal gas additives scam for a while but it has gione on for too long. It was a fairly sudden decline over the last 10K mils. The 5.4 is well maintained, I thought, but does have original wires and injectors.

What would cause a sudden increase in fuel consumption after so many miles?

Ethanol - gas stations (oil companies) are using higher percentages of Ethanol, charging us more and causing reduced gas mileage. One more thank you to the tree huggers.

I was watching that truck show. The guy with the wig. Out of teh box the ecoboost ford had a restrictive exhaust, and was the first thing they modified. Gave 30 more hp, and more torque. Just keeping an egg under your foot is a good start. But letting your mill breathe better is up on the list, and Im sure it will work for any vehicle.

Last year I put 2-1/2" pipes on my BB chebbie, and now I get 12 mpg! :D

Ethanol - gas stations (oil companies) are using higher percentages of Ethanol, charging us more and causing reduced gas mileage. One more thank you to the tree huggers.

I'd guess your O2 sensor went. You've probably been running rich since you noticed the dropoff in MPGs.

The Oxygen sensor COULD be the culprit, as could several OTHER sensors.

On board diagnostics is supposed to identify that.

The single most effective way to increase MPG in a gasoline engine is to connect a Vacuum gauge.

It goes on top of your dashboard, or on top of your steering column, like a tachometer on a hot rod.

But it works backwards. It reads maximum when you don't touch the gas. Minimum when you accelerate.

Yes, restrictive exhausts, restrictive intakes, vacuum leaks, all kill MPG.

So does underinflated tires, dragging brakes, balance issues, on and on.

Use taller, thinner tires. Egg under the gas pedal ...etc.

But first, get a vacuum gauge.

AMMO

You guys have great suggestions. I think I will have the rig checked out on the dealer confuser. My onboard diagnostics don't show any issues by way of idiot light.

Just one more question (DON'T LAUGH). I haven't noticed any great performance issues with my 5.4 --- but at 226K miles -- should I replace the coil packs? They are original and I am being told that with a small investment my friend vastly improved the performane on his truck --- which has much fewer miles but is about the same age.

I have tried everything for gas savings. Not one or any combination of costly performance add-ons will work as well as changing driving habits (free) and keeping up vehicle maintenance, especially those pesky sensors. Just taking your foot off the gas earlier when slowing can save you a bunch instead of throttling until the last minute and then heavy braking. Saves your brakes too! The biggest savings is with reduced acceleration, hands down, also slower cruise speeds. With those simple changes I can average 17mpg and get 21-22mpg on the highway in a burb!

Reducing weight will help a little but there is not many things you can easily change on a modern vehicle to reduce weight.

Underinflated tires will reduce MPG, but so will overinflated tires, don't listen to the hype. It will also cause increased wear on tires, suspension components and the overall vehicle, and reduced traction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayak99 View Post

Yes. Every time I manage to squeeze a little more out of my 1995 K1500. The Ethanol % goes up and I'm back to where I started.

From my experience, a decent aftermarket exhaust setup will yield great results. I put Flowmaster 50 series on my Silverado 1500 and easily saw a couple extra MPGs. Also keeping it under 2k RPMs really helps. I wouldn't recommend the exhaust for those solely seeking greater MPGs though, it can be pretty expensive. I got it for power and sound as well.

i got the snapshot device from progressive. It monitors your driving habits, and if you are eligible, you get a discount.

I learned a lot about my driving habits, stopped running and gunning the am commute, and saved 30% on my insurance. i got better mileage when I had teh device in the car and they were watching me than I go now.

This recording device from an Insurance Company...I dunno ...they like a rigged game as far as I'm concerned and I deal with them every day in my line of work. I can't see allowing them to look over my shoulder when

I'm behind the wheel. If you're ok with that fine, Just gives me the willies..and them evidence for the courtroom...

This recording device from an Insurance Company...I dunno ...they like a rigged game as far as I'm concerned and I deal with them every day in my line of work. I can't see allowing them to look over my shoulder when

I'm behind the wheel. If you're ok with that fine, Just gives me the willies..and them evidence for the courtroom...

+1! I heard a rumor a few years back from the secretary at my old job that her and husband signed up for this and after driving with this device for 30 days that their insurance went up. I understand this cannot happen but allegedly they pulled up some ticket from a few years back. Who knows the truth?? All I know is our privacy is at risk......No thanks!

You guys have great suggestions. I think I will have the rig checked out on the dealer confuser. My onboard diagnostics don't show any issues by way of idiot light.

Just one more question (DON'T LAUGH). I haven't noticed any great performance issues with my 5.4 --- but at 226K miles -- should I replace the coil packs? They are original and I am being told that with a small investment my friend vastly improved the performane on his truck --- which has much fewer miles but is about the same age.

you have a 2004, 99% sure nothing wrong with your coil packs? what year and millage was your friends 5.4 ford engine? if you choose to replace parts - please go on fleebay and order only

motorcraft replacement parts -unless you can get 20% off at dealer parts counter through a buddy bussiness-! nothing aftermarket! all aftermarket sucks unless it is the real highend stuff "they have put time in engineering a proper product" - which would cost more than motorcraft.

start with plugs/wires/cap/rotor 1st. check all sensors for sure. most of the big auto parts chains will throw the diagnostic computer on for free and see if something shows bad.