Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew C.

Increasing MPG

34 posts in this topic

There was a thread about 'fuel chips' a while ago and if using them would increase mileage. I do a lot of driving in my Tacoma and started looking into things myself. Searched online, a popular truck forum, several other places. Lots of info about chips, filters, cold air intake, etc. The general opinion was that those things aren't worth it. I did find the same three things coming up in regards to increasing MPG ... 1 - take it easy on the gas pedal, 2 - synthetic oil, 3 - get a after market gauge to monitor fuel consumption. I decided to get a gauge (Ultra-gauge). Did 2 tanks driving like I always do - I really don't speed too much but probably accelerate and use the gas pedal more than I need. Then I did 2 tanks trying to ease up on the gas - slower accelerations, slowed down a bit and watched my rpms (tried to stay below 2000 and closer to 1000-1500). I take back country roads to work. Still early, but driving like I always do got me about just under 18mpg, being a little less aggressive on the gas pedal got me almost 21mpg. That's a 15% improvement by just easing up on the gas. I think I can actually improve it a bit more as well. It does take me a few minutes longer to get to work but it if saves me that much money it is worth it.

Good post.

I've remapped my morning commute to reduce the number of lights that force decelerations and accelerations, and adding almost 2 miles to the route while subtracting 8 lights pays for itself nicely. And keeping the needle at 55, while irritating to many drivers, does do good things too.

i got the snapshot device from progressive. It monitors your driving habits, and if you are eligible, you get a discount.

I learned a lot about my driving habits, stopped running and gunning the am commute, and saved 30% on my insurance. i got better mileage when I had teh device in the car and they were watching me than I go now.

Good post.

I've remapped my morning commute to reduce the number of lights that force decelerations and accelerations, and adding almost 2 miles to the route while subtracting 8 lights pays for itself nicely. And keeping the needle at 55, while irritating to many drivers, does do good things too.

I've noticed that as well, screw 'em...

Hell SL if you stay at 500 rpms you'll save even more --- won't go anywhere but it will be cheap.

The 6 speed in my new F-150 drops the rpms below 1500 at 65 mph. Sweet!!!

Hell SL if you stay at 500 rpms you'll save even more --- won't go anywhere but it will be cheap.

The 6 speed in my new F-150 drops the rpms below 1500 at 65 mph. Sweet!!!

The 1500 rpm rule is mostly about acceleration, I was trying it this morning in my E-250.

It's doable but I don't think the people stuck behind me while leaving a stop light were thrilled.

The 1500 rpm rule is mostly about acceleration, I was trying it this morning in my E-250.

It's doable but I don't think the people stuck behind me while leaving a stop light were thrilled.

I've gotten that look a bunch of times since I'm trying to slow it down. When they start paying for my gas I will start to care about what they think. Many times they pass me, glare but then we end up sitting next to the each other at the very next light. Not sure what all the rush is about...

other things are actual weight of the truck. think weight reduction. aluminum rims, street tires not off road tires, 2nd and 3rd row seats removed, cold air intake, exhaust system, ignition system

Here's a tip. In newer cars your air conditioner compressor runs if you leave your cabin controls on defrost.

The selector must be in off position.

I had no idea.

I'm on a tight budget and never in any hurry to get anywhere.

Yesterday on the way back from having a procedure completed, I was travelling on the highway at 58 mph. The speed limit is 55.

I almost got killed. Some yoyo was weaving in and out coming up behind me and he almost rammed me from behind real good.

55 was so slow for this road, it must have seemed like I was sitting still when he came upon me.

Be careful driving the speed limit. Seems everyone around here is easily cruising doing 75 or 80,

Last tankful got me just under 23mpg, that's a heck of a lot better than the 18 or so that I was getting.... Still haven't done any significant highway driving yet.