Jim DE

Scenic Photography:

3,144 posts in this topic

[img=

Landscapes, seascapes, night time city skylines, sunrises, sunsets, waterfalls....... these are my passion. I do 90% of my photography in this genre. Controlling the light with various techniques/filters, waiting for the perfect light, the perfect timing of variables, focus, depth of field, and composition is what a good scenic requires. One can get lucky and raise a camera and nail a scenic when everything was perfect and think this is nothing or you can study various angles, plan the position of the sun, moon. or tides at a specific time, plan to shoot at just the perfect time of year for the best foliage, select just the right focal length, aperture, shutter speed, and filters needed to achieve exactly what you want and then think this is nuts ... it's just too much work! ;)

p><p>  A good scenic tells the story, makes one feel they are there, and makes them wonder what is around the bend or behind the rock. If you haven

_DSC0407.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa155/DEcevR/DSC00313.jpg' alt='DSC00313.jpg'>

Give Scenic Photography a try.... you may find a new passion!

1 person likes this

I am with you Jim, I very rarely use anything to touch up my photographs after i shoot them.

NickDub, I still have to use some post processing techniques for my final output but I try and get is as close as I can in camera at the time of capture. To me this is what my photography passion is all about. I am a one shot one capture kinda guy ;)

Thanks for your support on this way of thinking NickDub and I will be looking for whatever images you would care to share with the board.

Ah I gotcha. Landscape/scenic photography is also my favorite type of photography. Can't wait to see what everyone has to share.

Rip-Line I use a Vari ND filter by Singh Ray a lot for my work. Also many other of their filters are used in combination to create various effects. For example the 3rd shot has a Singh Ray Blue/gold polarizer and a .4 4"x 6" gradient at the horizon to tone down the dynamic range of the sky to the water. I handhold the 4X6 filters during the exposure. Gotta luv "Live View" ;)

Rip-Line, I would not go out for any scenic shoot where water was present without a Vari ND. It's that important to me..... I think you'll feel the same once you get to use yours.

Thanks! Mt. Rushmore is an absolutely amazing place to visit, and i had a beautiful day to shoot there. I also have some close ups of the faces where you can see some of the marks made by the tools that were used.