robmedina

kayak cart/ crate mod

34 posts in this topic

yeah at first I thought this was a great mod and I guess for flat areas it is, but after looking at some other stuff- if you have rocks or uneven surfaces, this mod may not be the best thing for you, unless you use taller wheels. I really like the trailtrekker cart, but for $159 I will pass. Yes I am cheap!!!

ok forget what I said! After 2 breaks on my home made kayak cart and having to huff my kayak a good 100 yards on my head getting off the raritan today, I threw in the towel of cheapness and ordered a trail trekker kayak cart!

wont hold up in sand, no way with those skimpy wheels. Its a great design, but if you added bigger wheels and a strap through the handles of the milk crate around the kayak so it wouldnt slip it would be better

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayTheHobo View Post

wont hold up in sand, no way with those skimpy wheels. Its a great design, but if you added bigger wheels and a strap through the handles of the milk crate around the kayak so it wouldnt slip it would be better

supposedly the trail trekker can go through anything. I put it on my kayak and pulled it around my yard. I have a large branch that fell down in one  of the storms this winter that I still have to cut up, I pulled the yak right over it. 

I have to admit, that I am curious as to what it would do in soft sand. on their youtube video they go over sand, but it is not soft beachy sand, looks like river bed sand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robmedina View Post

ok forget what I said! After 2 breaks on my home made kayak cart and having to huff my kayak a good 100 yards on my head getting off the raritan today, I threw in the towel of cheapness and ordered a trail trekker kayak cart!

Ahhh, memories, I found some wheels, grabbed some PVC, made a nice cart, sure looked sturdy....then I hit sand. It slowly twisted in slow motion and snapped. I bought a commercial product too. its also amazing how much drag a cart has on a yak when you hit the water and forget to take it out.

supposedly the trail trekker can go through anything. I put it on my kayak and pulled it around my yard. I have a large branch that fell down in one  of the storms this winter that I still have to cut up, I pulled the yak right over it. 

I have to admit, that I am curious as to what it would do in soft sand. on their youtube video they go over sand, but it is not soft beachy sand, looks like river bed sand.

My guess is that the trail trekker is going to get badly bogged down in soft sand. If you have an empty, lightweight kayak you might be okay, but fishing kayaks with gear is going to be a chore. I have 4 different carts in my garage. For sand I use a scupper cart with big 30cm Wheeleez wheels for my Revo and P-13. When using the DII, I pull the wheels and use the same wheels on a PVC cart that I built with a 3/4" stainless axle. The Wheeleez wheels are expensive, but the only thing that I've found to work in sand. I have other wheels and a different cart that I use for freshwater.

I hope it works out for you. It took me a while to find the best solutions for myself.

I made a trail trekker cart based on the same components in the video, 24" stainless axle, same wheels from northern tool and 3/4 inch cord reinforced water hose from HD. Cost was about $ 55.

I use it on my Tarpon which is also a heavy yak. I pull it through sand, sure it doesn't pull like a wheeleez cart but I don't have a problem. You will be fine.

I pull it in soft sand sometimes up to maybe 150 ft. I'm 60 yrs old. I can put wheeleez wheels on it by just using a 30 inch axle if I want but the cost does not justify buying the wheels and axle to me at this point. Maybe if I pulled it 300 yds. I would do that and you can too.

I bought the ss rod / axle on ebay for about $18 shipped. Try it before you do anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spitdog View Post

I made a trail trekker cart based on the same components in the video, 24" stainless axle, same wheels from northern tool and 3/4 inch cord reinforced water hose from HD. Cost was about $ 55.

I use it on my Tarpon which is also a heavy yak. I pull it through sand, sure it doesn't pull like a wheeleez cart but I don't have a problem. You will be fine.

I pull it in soft sand sometimes up to maybe 150 ft. I'm 60 yrs old. I can put wheeleez wheels on it by just using a 30 inch axle if I want but the cost does not justify buying the wheels and axle to me at this point. Maybe if I pulled it 300 yds. I would do that and you can too.

I bought the ss rod / axle on ebay for about $18 shipped. Try it before you do anything.

I was looking at harbor freight they have some pneumatic wheels for 8 bucks. I figure IF is run into a problem with soft sand I can always get those wheels and adapt them to my cart, but like you, I don't think it will be an issue. btw I would love to see what you made.

I was looking at harbor freight they have some pneumatic wheels for 8 bucks. I figure IF is run into a problem with soft sand I can always get those wheels and adapt them to my cart, but like you, I don't think it will be an issue. btw I would love to see what you made.

Here they are, as you can see I tweaked there design a bit. The roller the the kayak keel sits in is nothing but a roller for a boat.

The beauty of the cart is that its easy to keep the yak loaded and put the cart on.

[img=a><a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3485271/width/600/height/450' alt='450'>