Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew C.

Droid vs I phone

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I have a Droid phone, and a iPod touch, which is basically an iPhone without the phone. For me, there's no comparison: the iPod Touch/iPhone does just about everything better.

I don't really type on either of them -- I type too fast (80 wpm), and trying to input words on any one of these devices is, to me, like trying to carve them out of stone -- so if you're a heavy texter, your mileage may vary. But as far as ease of use, reliability, etc., my experiences are that the iPhone operating system is much easier to use, and much more reliable, than the Droid I've had for the past 18 months. I have t- Mobile, which means I can't get an iPhone, but the next time I upgrade, it's going to be with an iPhone, even if it means I have to switch carriers to get one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ View Post

FWIW - the 4G network isn't the most stable and reliable, yet. Several friends with Droids are always having issues.

I keep Wi-Fi enabled on the iPhone to speed up the web browsing. Otherwise 3G is working fine with very few "dead spots".

Does anyone really have much 4g up to speed yet?

Don't know from Droids but I'm pretty much thrilled with my iPhone 4. Going from a base flip phone to a smartphone was a trip, lemme tell ya! Sprint unlimited plan so I have nothing to worry about as far as data usage and texts (don't care about talk minutes, even the base talk package would cover my talk time). Apple doesn't support Flash, so if ya need that for whatever, you're stuck. That being said, I've come across exactly 2 websites that I couldn't access because they were completely Flash based since I've owned it (December '11) Nowhere near a deal breaker IMO. Don't know about the Droids, but the iPhone is a battery *****. Keep a charge cord with ya, or buy a Mophie case with the backup battery and double your usage time for pretty much everything. A bonus with the iPhone is that messaging between ANY iPhone on ANY plan is free & unlimited, thank you Apple! (unless I completely misread the info). Texting speed between iPhones is simply astounding! When I have prolonged text sessions to,say, people with a non smartphone, texts can get out of order so to speak and I've had a few "misunderstandings, lol" because of it. Data transmission between my iPhone and friends Droids leaves nothing to be desired, seems just fine. I avoided Apple products thus far because I thought PC based systems were just more universal and I'm old enough to remember the first Apple desktops from my time in gradeschool (hated them!). Always thought Apple did things differently just to be different. Now I'm figuring out, that Steve Jobs guy prolly knew what he was doing! Whatever you choose you'll probably be happy, and take solace in that even the longest plan contract is only 2 years. Good luck, and welcome to the 21st century ;)

P.S. Anybody got any idea when we're gonna get a mobile version of SOL? Pain in the ass to navigate on a mobile (sure its been said, surry to beat a dead horse if that's the case)

Right after the sweat shirts are released.

3g is still the go-to......4g is spotty and certainly not full coverage

Even the 4g phones I've tested don't give me much more of a boost over 3g

Funny how we've gone from:

[img=

To

p><p>  <a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3413228/width/600/height/399' alt='399'>

We've come full circle.....Zack Morris is in his glory!!

Another vote for iPhone. To put it simply, it just works! And works well!

Granted you may not have the same degree of freedom, customization wise in stock form, on the iPhone as one would with the droid but I would really have to question any advantage that would give the droid over an iphone. And If you really want to customize either, you going to go the way of jail breaking the iPhone or rooting your droid and that is a completely different topic.

Also as mentioned above once you add more than one Apple device to your household the benefits of going all Apple over the other competitors becomes painfully obvious. Again their stuff simply just works or in this case talks. No need to have a degree in IT networking to get Apple products up, running & talking to each other. Sharing files, folders, pics, music, etc.. it is actually quite amazing how simple it is.

That being said I have no plans on going completely Apple in my household despite the clear advantage of doing so from an ease of use stand point. I like tech and like to tinker too much and therefore will be taking the route with the greatest learning curve Linux :D.

P.S. Anybody got any idea when we're gonna get a mobile version of SOL? Pain in the ass to navigate on a mobile (sure its been said, surry to beat a dead horse if that's the case)

Right after the sweat shirts are released.

Rav always on point :hi5:

We did an eval of DroidiPhoneBB TorchWindows Phone, I couldn't get anyone to try the windows phone, I guess it's not hip. So I tested it out. Needless to say, it will be my go to phone for a very long time. iPhone is great, but honestly I perfer the windows phone and feel it's a better device. You get the customization and stability you want without the fragmentation and stability issue's of android. If you don't really care what others think, give one a try.

But to answer your question, iPhone over android for sure.

If the verizon i phone was a 4g phone it would be a no brainer, but its only 3g. That's the main reason that I am considering the Droid. Will decide later today, leaning towards the i phone. Thanks for the replies.

VZW has LTE. Its the only real 4G out there. I know the LTE Iphone is coming soon. Can you wait?

VZW 3G is EVDO and LTE blows it away.

I need the keyboard, so I need to go with Droid. Besides that, if its about picture taking, my GF's Iphone is awesome.

I wrestled with this question back in November until I decided to go with the VZW iPhone. My first ever smartphone so I had nothing to compare it with. The reason I decided to go with the iPhone is I didn't feel like spending time customizing a droid phone. I've been in IT for almost 30 years and have a bigtime power mentality as anyone but the last thing I wanted to do is turn a smartphone into a mini-laptop. Just give me a phone that works smoothly, intuitively and without fuss and without acting buggy or slow or high-maintenance. I decided the iPhone met all my conditions. So far so good! No regrets.

droid open source constantly sucks, iphone gated community apples way or the highway, it all works the right way. Dropped the droid to my youngest son and went to the iphone 4. If you're a computer geek, go with the droid. Lots more to tinker with. S

Does anyone really have much 4g up to speed yet?

To the best of my knowledge, there are no standards for having a network called 4G. Simply it's the fourth iteration of the carrier's network. AT&T's 4G is software running their 3G hardware at peak. Verizon's 4G/LTE is both a hardware and software upgrade.

...I know the LTE Iphone is coming soon. Can you wait?...

Besides the iPhone 5 speculations, even my connections within the cell phone business don't know when this will happen. Probably be released sometime in 4Q 2012 or 1Q 2013. Last I knew Apple had not yet found a LTE capable chipset to make them happy.