Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
madgyver

Monster Ulua caught shorecasting off Oahu, Hawaii. 145lbs. pic

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

i have to ask whats the slidebait technique?

Lead with wire claw and stop ring set-up is cast out as far as you can set it. Let lead grab bottom of ocean and line is set tight. A slide buckle leader is set-up with 16/0 - 18/0 circle hook. A large (1 to 2 lb) live bait is birdled on hook to swim freely. And then slide buckle leader set-up is attached to mainline and bait is slid down to water depth. This slide bait technique allows the use of large bait (mostly live) to get out farther. Stop ring will prevent slide buckle from going through. Lead line usually breaks off after fish hits bait, and then fight is on.... Hold on!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by madgyver View Post

Lead with wire claw and stop ring set-up is cast out as far as you can set it. Let lead grab bottom of ocean and line is set tight. A slide buckle leader is set-up with 16/0 - 18/0 circle hook. A large (1 to 2 lb) live bait is birdled on hook to swim freely. And then slide buckle leader set-up is attached to mainline and bait is slid down to water depth. This slide bait technique allows the use of large bait (mostly live) to get out farther. Stop ring will prevent slide buckle from going through. Lead line usually breaks off after fish hits bait, and then fight is on.... Hold on!!

sounds interesting and complicated buy clearly the results speak for themselves. Awesome catch!

WOW, I am heading down for a kayak trip to Christmas Island, which is 1300 miles south of Hawaii in 6 weeks and our target fish from the kayak will be GT's and yellow fin tuna. I can't wait to get one of these GT's on my line........but I don't think I am ready for one THAT BIG!!

Danny V

Yellow fin tuna? :confused: You better put a seatbelt on that kayak! ;)

Do they have any value as a food fish, or are they kept mainly as a trophy?

Not the best eating, but still edible. I'll take it over tilapia any day. Problem with eating ulua (and other reef fish) is that certain geographic locations are known to have fish with ciguatera poisoning and ulua are notoriously ciguatoxic.

Ulua are apex predators in Hawaii and are the biggest, baddest fish normally caught from shore. This 145-pounder would have been close to an all-tackle IGFA record a few years ago. Still might be a record as he caught it on 60-lb test. The current IGFA all-tackle record is a 160-pounder caught in Japan a few years ago. Any ulua over 100-pounds is about as rare as a striper over 60-pounds.