cnnashman

Cheap Hatch liner

82 posts in this topic

I love it. Gotta check Walmart . As far as making the front hatch waterproof all you do is glue a piece of 1/4 inch closed cell foam or 1/4 neoprene to the underside of the lid. It creates a tight seal and also insulates the bucket from heat in case you have ice in there. Use spray contact.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PM Casting View Post

Barry, I made the same liner awhile back when this was first posted and yes the cover will close securely.

You just keep trimming the tub until you get the exact fit you want.

Thanks....I just bought my first kayak today (Outback) and will be going to Wal-Mart tomorrow to buy the basket.  Can't wait to get my feet wet (pardon the pun) in kayak fishing.

Wow, i didn't even consider it fitting in the Revo. I know Ship and Barrel are not very happy about this because they sell Hobies plastic liner. Nothing personal guys but $59.99

I think Hobies a good Company but charging $59.99 for a lightweight piece of plastic is theft, it really is, and they priced it that high because no one has an alternative. Now we do, at least until Walmart discontinues them as soon as they start to sell like they always do.

I guess you missed my last 4000 posts. Im always trying to talk people out of buying and installing too many expensive and uneeded gadgets. I also have come up with numerous home built ideas so people can save money and do it themselves. Ive been arguing with my Hobie rep since the buckets came on the market that they should be included in the original package along with a free cart.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bariatric Barry View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by PM Casting View Post

Barry, I made the same liner awhile back when this was first posted and yes the cover will close securely.

You just keep trimming the tub until you get the exact fit you want.

Thanks....I just bought my first kayak today (Outback) and will be going to Wal-Mart tomorrow to buy the basket.  Can't wait to get my feet wet (pardon the pun) in kayak fishing.

Although I won"t have my yak for another 2-3 weeks, I did go to Walmart today and picked up two of these liner baskets;  one in green and one in an aqua blue.   Decisions....decisions......decisions!

I guess you missed my last 4000 posts. Im always trying to talk people out of buying and installing too many expensive and uneeded gadgets. I also have come up with numerous home built ideas so people can save money and do it themselves. Ive been arguing with my Hobie rep since the buckets came on the market that they should be included in the original package along with a free cart.

My apologies Barrell, obviously jumped the gun, if i was still living in Jersey your the man i would get my Hobie from because you really do look out for the small guys.

Neat idea and not just for Hobie yaks, as for Barrell, you got that guy all wrong, he is about kayaking and helping people!...Jack

In all honesty, i'm an atrocious yakker, when i go out i'm easily tracked down because what i leave in the water from all types of stuff falling overboard reminds people of the remnants of a torpedoed Battleship during World War II. I am a surf fisherman first and foremost, still trying my hand at yakking though.

If you think the liners are over priced check out the cradles...$220 for plastic that doesn't even fit the hull well (really crappy fit). I really feel like I got srewed but wanted to prevent the hull deformation and thought the cradles were the way to go. I really should have made my own out of fiberglass.

Another thing I noticed in the catalog was the ritchie panel mount compass shown mounted in a hatch cover???? It's 3" deep...how do you install it where shown?

What size is the oval party tub?  I just purchased an outback and I see the liners are $61 ouch yet then I went to partycity on line and I see there are a couple of different sizes to select from. (http://www.partycity.com/category/entertaining+serving/pitchers+ice+buckets.do). Which size do you recommend? 10in or 19in  Thank you!!;)

Those tubs in the pic are not what i was speaking about, i can't say if they will work, they might but i know this one does at Walmart.

Multi purpose flexible tub. The pic is on page two.

Cradles? What are these cradles you are speaking of?

I think he's talking about the cradles that Hobie sells that are used for transporting the yak on top of a car or trailer .

thank you cnnashman :)

I got the red bucket and looks good on my outback.

I put the velcro on 2 sides at the bottom and it holds like a charm...

Looks like you cut it a bit short as the tub should fit snug in all four corners. I'm about done with a contraption that opens and closes (locks) the front hatch from the seated position. You will be able to grab gear or whatever with one of those squeeze handle extension contraptions while remaining seated and then lock the hatch closed , stay tuned. If anyone's interested , remind me if i forget to post it , i'm always working on stuff and i have a habit of forgetting .