Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frenchy1

Do you E-tex on the spinner, or off the spinner?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I'm new to lure building. I made some pencils and have been using the flipping method after e-tex, until yesterday. I built a spinner over the weekend, and gave it a try last night with good results. My question is...do you apply the e-tex while the plug is attached to the spinner, or do you e-tex, then attach?

I tried both ways, but it seems a lot easier e-texing while holding it, then attach to the spinner. Just curious to hear what everyone else is doing. Thanks!

Ryan

I have an old beat up fly tying vise next to my spinner on the bench, I clamp the tailwrap in the vise and I can spin and angle the plug while I apply the etex, then I grab the plug by the lip or whatever and transfer it to the spinner.

Works for me.....:bucktooth:

On the spinner for me. I stop it to apply then turn it on to move to diff plugs, and leave it on overnight.

I mix etex, then turn on spinner, then work one plug at a time while it rotates. Once I am done with that plug, I move to the next. Only 4 plugs per batch of etex, so 2 batches for a full load. Solarfall posted a video here of his spinner; it's flat as opposed to round so it gives him access to different sides of the plugs throughout the rotation. Thats how mine setup.

Thanks guys. How fast do your spinners turn? Reason why I asked the question, is I had 2 plugs end up with a wavy finish on the top side near the eyes, and they are the ones that I e-texed on the spinner. But I think I may have applied too much e-tex on them though.

My spinner turns 3 RPMs. Is that too fast? Or too slow maybe? And the plugs do move a bit during rotation. Is that ok?

wavy finish usualy means too much epoxy and/or cold temperture.. i epoxy mine in place while the spinner is moving ( 7-8rpm).. and have lights that heat the inside to approx 80 degrees.. over 80 and a T-stat shuts them off.... the less handeling the better... flipping a plug or trying to truss it up on a spinner after it is coated will eventualy end in disaster IMHO.. not always.. but eventualy something bad will happen...

I know lots of flippers are out there there.. and they do well by it... I've been down that road.. and for me.. the spinner is a no brainer..... i'd rather epoxy, set the timer ( 24 plugs at a tme) and move on to something else.. but thats just me.

I have an old beat up fly tying vise next to my spinner on the bench, I clamp the tailwrap in the vise and I can spin and angle the plug while I apply the etex, then I grab the plug by the lip or whatever and transfer it to the spinner.

Works for me.....:bucktooth:

Exactly the same for me!:D

I agree with Rock 100% on the accident waiting to happen in the transfer ! I do mine on the spinner just for that reason, and i still sometimes bump the plug next to it with my hand or the brush ! Good thing e-tex takes so long to set up . Keeping the coats thin seems to work best. I tell you one thing, the absolute BEST finish i get from e-tex is when i do a custom plug or two and i flip those manually. Put them under little tupperware container and flip them every twenty minutes or so. Your tied to it, but that's what hockey games are for, you just have to remember to flip them ! One BIG mistake i made when i built my spinner was, after coating the plugs, i would cycle the spinner on/off to mimic the manual flipping, but what happened was, there was always some 'sag' in the finish. Once i turned the spinner on full time, it never got rid of that sag . When i went to spinning right from the start, everything levels out really nice. Sorry to be so long winded....:p

I tried envirotex for the first time last week end. I was going to do four i had on my spinner. well i mixed more that i needed and had some plugs hanging right next to spinner so i figured i'd try the flip method. End result i found coating on the spin more frantic than holding with a vice grip coating then flipping. The finish on the flipped was as nice as the ones in spinner. Very new at this and learning with every plug. Not to go on for ever but thanks to everybody who posts here I read a lot...:D