Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ralphrox

what type of clams?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

i'm certainly not an expert, but i would think that the chowder clams are probably the cheapest. the fish probably don't care one way or the other what type you offer them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinambition View Post

The biggest you can get

the cheapest you can get.  its only bait. 

You don't have to live near a B&T, you can stop by one that's near where you're fishing or one that's on the way. Most are open pretty early... You're going to pay a premium at your local fish monger for something that you won't really reap the benfits from...

the supermarket one are shut tight usually unlike the b&t ones so if youll have to be fishing on a hard surface like a jetty or pier and smash them on the ground to get them out...or you could bring a hammer

If your planning on fishing anywhere between Sandy Hook & Cape May I can't think of any 1 particular area that does not have a B&T shop within resonable driving diatance.  Most, if not all, will have clams by now but if the mrkt is easiest for you good luck and report back on how you make out. 

the supermarket one are shut tight usually unlike the b&t ones so if youll have to be fishing on a hard surface like a jetty or pier and smash them on the ground to get them out...or you could bring a hammer

I think there might be some confusion here. The clams that are sold in supermarkets are hard shell clams (quahogs), whether they be of the littleneck size, cherrystone/top neck size or chowder size (in some areas, chowders are labeled as "quahogs" but in reality, even hardshell littlenecks are quahogs.) They are all the same, other than the size.

The clams sold in bait shops are sea clams........I don't think I have ever seen sea clams sold "in shell" in a supermarket, although they are sold shucked and chopped in containers.

Sea clams are very easy to shuck. Hardshell clams are a bit harder to shuck, but I have yet to run into a hardshell clams (even a very big chowder) that I can't get open with a knife and the right technique, so "smashing them" isn't really required.

If you can't get a large hardshell clam open in the usual method of shucking a littleneck or sea clam, just turn the clam around. Near the hinge, on one side you will see a bit of an indentation and a brown spot. Take a stout pointed knife, and insert it into that spot (carefully, don't stab yourself), then just run the knife up to the top of the clam with a bit of a twisting motion, and it will pop open a bit. (The shell might break, but no big deal.) From there, your can continue shucking as you normally would. :)