Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cptjack

3/4 shackle

5 posts in this topic

5/8 shackles are plenty good as well. Keep in mind if things are rated for overhead lifting, there is a lot higher safety factor built in for them than if you're doing a straight pull. In other words if it's safe for 5,000# lift, it's safe for a good amount more in a straight pull.

I've got a couple of used very heavy duty overhead lifting straps that I use for recovery. Companies that do overhead lifting can only use them for so long and then have to replace them for safety reasons.....they're cheap, way beefy, and way overkill for jeep recovery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjma View Post

5/8 shackles are plenty good as well. Keep in mind if things are rated for overhead lifting, there is a lot higher safety factor built in for them than if you're doing a straight pull. In other words if it's safe for 5,000# lift, it's safe for 10,000# or more in a straight pull.

I've got a couple of used very heavy duty overhead lifting straps that I use for recovery. Companies that do overhead lifting can only use them for so long and then have to replace them for safety reasons.....they're cheap, way beefy, and way overkill for jeep recovery.

Yep, there are very different pieces required for lifting. Tie-down gear is a different kind of chain, too.

There are charts available for this stuff, and most distributors will be very happy to tell you the rating for different situations if they can identify the manufacturer.

Don't just wing it and think a shackle good for 5000 lifting will double it's rating for a tow, it's not that simple, and could be deadly, but I highly doubt a 3/4 shackle will be the weak link.

You're right, I just edited it....I don't know the exact safety factor difference.

I've got a mix of 5/8 and 3/4 shackles on my jeep that are attached via 3/4" thick steel tabs through welded on the front and back of box tube bumpers, so the strap is the weak link, and not that weak! I've had to be involved in some pretty hairy recovery and never seen a USA shackle fail. I wouldn't trust other ones!!

It's also common practice in the 4x4/jeep/offroading world not to use chain for recovery because of what can happen if it fails. Not that it often times is more than sufficient.....it's just dangerous, plus tow straps don't do as much damage flying around the back of the vehicle.

1595969_202_full.jpg

This is my jeep with a friend's multi-mount winch in the front receiver. He parked his jeep at the trailhead, haha.