Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flashman

VS 250 maintenance

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I would like to replace my VS 250 oil with grease, is this difficult? And what size wrench or socket to I need to take of the side plate? Its been five years since I serviced it and never had a problem. I dont really have the funds to send it in or pay for the service kit.

Thers a video on servicing your vs on YouTube. I just use a regular old adjustable wrench to open it up. Be careful putting it back together, easy to lock out, not so easy to unlock :shock:

Yes, I've seen the utube video but It doesnt give me the wrench or socket size I need. Also, It shows replacing it with oil and I was told you can replace the oil with grease which is want I want to do.

Just use an adjustable wrench, I dunno about the grease, I never had a problem with the oil in mine. I bet it's been talked about here before, try the search

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flashman View Post

I would like to replace my VS 250 oil with grease, is this difficult? And what size wrench or socket to I need to take of the side plate? Its been five years since I serviced it and never had a problem. I dont really have the funds to send it in or pay for the service kit.

Use a 7/8inch socket wrench, preferably with 6 points and not the 12 points you see at a lot of hardware stores.  Put 1 layer of tape around the side cover plate to protect against mars when loosening the side plate.  The tape alone however won't prevent scratches/dings from occurring though as sometimes the tape can tear causing metal to metal contact (I learned this the hard way, but I realize it's just going to be one of many dings I'm going to accumulate over the life of the reel).  You just have to be very careful when applying pressure.  

The videos from van staal posted on youtube are excellent sources and you can order the all of the rubber seals that come in the self service kit a la carte for around $10-11 for all 3 seals (side cover oil seal, quad seal, and side cover o-ring seal). You have to call them directly and speak to a customer rep however as the parts are not available a la carte on their parts website.   

+1 on the oil.  I used grease when I serviced my reel last weekend.  The reel felt real stiff and after a couple of hours fishing it on Friday, I was exhausted from the effort that I had to put into it to crank the handle.  I then re-opened my reel and took out a majority of the grease and went with oil.  The difference is night and day.  So much smoother and much less effort to turn the crank.  Feels like a different reelsmile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged View Post

I prefer the oil to the grease. I find it much smoother.

i use lucas which is easier to find than the royal purple. i found that i have to thin the lucas slightly though cause it is really thick.