Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wildcard777

Striper Justification

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Just got back from Vegas. While there I spoke to a guide at Bass Pro Shops about striper fishing in Lake Mead. When he mentioned the 20 fish limit I said "Wow!" and explained that we can ony keep 2 from the bay or surf. To my surprise, he then went on this rant about how stripers don't even belong in the Pacific because they were brought over from the east. He said as an "environmentalist" he strongly believes stripers should not be in the delta or Pacific and if their population plummets then so be it.

How would you respond to this guy?

I would ask him for a green card.....another thing Lake Mead had no Stripers until they were planted them,the guy is a hypocrite,that being so, your dealing with stupidy,that being the case I would say Nothing....

I wonder how he feels about the Florida Strain Largemouth Bass....LOL! :D

I bet he would be one hell of a Carp guide! HERE HERE...use some of this popcorn! :laugh:

I would have asked him what he likes to fish for in the area or what species earns him the most money guiding. Unless he likes to fish for razorback suckers, Colorado pikeminnows, and maybe a few subspecies of cutthroat, he's fishing for exotics. All largemouth, smallmouth, panfish, carp and catfish don't belong in that system, nor do the threadfin shad, crayfish and clams that they eat. Shoot, the rainbow trout don't even belong in those parts of the Colorado drainage... they're helped out by the cold tailwaters.

Wait, never mind, he's an "environmentalist" that makes a living taking people fishing for exotic species. I would have just pointed out his hypocrisy, then went back to the blackjack tables and nudie bars on the strip. wink.gif

I would ask him for a green card.
:huh:

....another thing Lake Mead had no Stripers until they were planted them,the guy is a hypocrite

He's supportive of the 20 fish limit. How is that hypocritical?

Where would the "environmentalist" guide without Lake Mead?

You mean where would he guide without the nonnative fish species in Lake Mead?

You mean where would he guide without the nonnative fish species in Lake Mead?

No, where would he guide if Lake Mead wasn't man made?

Is the limit of Sidewalk Salmon in Vegas 20 also?

especially considering that striped bass have been in california almost twice as long as his lake has been in existence.

No you can legally take side walk salmon at 18. Any younger you could end up in jail. :wee:

Just got back from Vegas. While there I spoke to a guide at Bass Pro Shops about striper fishing in Lake Mead. When he mentioned the 20 fish limit I said "Wow!" and explained that we can ony keep 2 from the bay or surf. To my surprise, he then went on this rant about how stripers don't even belong in the Pacific because they were brought over from the east. He said as an "environmentalist" he strongly believes stripers should not be in the delta or Pacific and if their population plummets then so be it.

How would you respond to this guy?

I would of verbally bitched slapped him and while he was picking his arss off the floor let him no what a sorry piece of crap he was. His whole life is of a non environmentalist. Where he lives, where he works, what he drives, his fairy guide service. You should have beat him up verbally and slapped his punk arse. Unfortunately you didn't stand up for your fishery, that was the time to put him in his place. If you want to fish with me this year Wild your going to have to learn when it's time to put someone in his place. ;)

Psst good enough response for you? ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by boscoebrea View Post

Just my opinion...I see yours......

Huh? You didn't answer his question and that makes no sense at all. I called the guide a hypocrite too, but for very different reasons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin View Post

Where would the "environmentalist" guide without Lake Mead?

This guide thought Wildcard was an average BPS customer/Vegas tourist and tried to sound smart and caring methinks. No doubt this guide is a conservationist (I would hope), but claiming himself as an environmentalist is silly. I'd bet that this self-proclaimed "environmentalist" would have been in favor of flooding the Sistine Chapel so that tourists could get closer to the ceiling cwm15.gif ... and then he'd have another place to guide clients on their largemouth and rainbow trout trips. Blue cats too... I think they have giant blue catfish down there.

I answered his question,what are you getting to,...read it again until you can understand it,if not OK,nothing to fret over

If insight doesn't work try humour....4 crying out loud..geez...

He's correct about the stripers being brought over from the east coast ( I think by train in 30's) but I think he's wrong about them not being allowed here. The problem with the hurting indigenous species is not the striper; it's the pumps, agro guys and corruption of politics....

Just my humble opinion....