Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MagDarter

Wading Boots vs. Dive Boots - WETSUITERS

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Whatup Surfcasters! 

I'm thinking about retiring my 8 year old SIMMS wading boots and either getting a pair of new Korker Chrome or Metal Head wading boots OR just buying a pair of dive boots and lace up korkers when i'm wetsuiting.

I'd like to hear some opinions from wetsuiters who do this and whether or not you have good ankle stability?  I have a weak right ankle...

Thanks,

MagDarter

I wear surfing booties and Korkers and love the setup, probably not stout enough for your ankle though. Dive boots might be slightly better than wet-suit booties, both are neoprene on the sides. It's been a bit since I wore or used dive boots, from what I remember it's just a wet-suit booty with a thicker sole basically.

Really depends if your swimming or wading to a rock to stand on. If I'm swimming its either wet suit booties or if I have to climb up something after I swim its dive boots. If I'm wading through a boulder field I actually prefer a pair of light weight hiking boots with or with out Korkers. ( don't need the korkers out west but do on most east coast locations. The hiking boots will support your ankle and still allow you to swim easily if you have to. Wading boots seem to be too cumbersome for me and make swimming a lot harder but they do give you the maximum ankle support.

I use and have used both.

I have a pair of Korkers boots with spikes. I wear those with a 2mil wetsuit sock. They do have some increased ankle stability.

I have also worn 3mil dive boots with korkers laced on.

The upside of the spiked Korker boots is the weight. I have the Mudder Duckers and they are LIGHT!

walking around with boots and korkers on your feet is like taping bricks to your feet.

Yeah it seems that boots will give me the ankle stability I need but then again I find that my ankle hurts from the increased weight.  I am going to try and find a pair of dive boots that will allow me to slip my ankle brace on and just use the lace up korkers.

Usually i'm in about 6 ft of water when im wetsuiting i don't typically push out further than that i'm a whimp haha

I hope it works. 

Had a friend who wore dive boots and korkers and made out ok but personally I think you are much better off with neoprene socks and studded boots. Don't have to worry about korker slipping off, they are considerably lighter, and they provide better foot/ankle support.

That being said I would highly recommend staying away from korker brand boot. I have never owned a pair that actually held up under heavy use in the surf. If you are going to be rock hopping often I'd recommend something light and cheap that you can replace every other season or so.

I went with Cabelas ultralight wading boots and used wearbar carbide studs in the bottoms (snowmobile track spikes). Awesome grip, lightweight, and Cheap! And while nothing I own lasts forever because I put so many miles on them the Cabelas boots have lasted considerably longer than anything I ever bought from korker. Chota's are another good option but are pricey and heavy.

Guys have their preference depending on what makes 'em feel more comfortable...no right or wrong.

Most of my friends and I always used wading boots, NRS boots, or even hi-top sneakers over the years with Korkers. We found ankle support is important while wetsuiting the rocky shores, traversing the small and big boulders in the waves/current, and enjoy the added support standing on many of the uneven perches we end up on... and our boots w/ Korkers have never impacted our swimming the typically less than 100 yd distances to and from shore.

Hey, when you wobble out of the water after a long night tide and still have 1/2 mile or more of wobbly walking on a rocky/bouldery shoreline to your truck, you'll be thankful for the ankle support.

Had a friend who wore dive boots and korkers and made out ok but personally I think you are much better off with neoprene socks and studded boots. Don't have to worry about korker slipping off, they are considerably lighter, and they provide better foot/ankle support.

That being said I would highly recommend staying away from korker brand boot. I have never owned a pair that actually held up under heavy use in the surf. If you are going to be rock hopping often I'd recommend something light and cheap that you can replace every other season or so.

I went with Cabelas ultralight wading boots and used wearbar carbide studs in the bottoms (snowmobile track spikes). Awesome grip, lightweight, and Cheap! And while nothing I own lasts forever because I put so many miles on them the Cabelas boots have lasted considerably longer than anything I ever bought from korker. Chota's are another good option but are pricey and heavy.

That's the way I do it. I bought the Albright tackle boots this year. Light weight and affordable, durability is yet too be determined. I have the NRS work boot. I like it but it's very soft, decent support but I got my ankle caught and bang it up. They're great if using swim fins over them.

If you go with korkers boots, just get the cheapest ones, they all pretty much last one season if you fish a lot. I like the soles with the longer studs for bubble weed rocks, for bare rocks that are just real slick I like the k1100 cleat with old sneakers. No need to get fancy ;)

I've had a pair of SIMMS leather wading boots that have lasted me quite a few years with moderate fishing miles on them. They give me great ankle support but when I put my K5000 on them they are like strapping bricks to your feet.

Gonna try the dive boots w my ankle brace today

Guys have their preference depending on what makes 'em feel more comfortable...no right or wrong.

Most of my friends and I always used wading boots, NRS boots, or even hi-top sneakers over the years with Korkers. We found ankle support is important while wetsuiting the rocky shores, traversing the small and big boulders in the waves/current, and enjoy the added support standing on many of the uneven perches we end up on... and our boots w/ Korkers have never impacted our swimming the typically less than 100 yd distances to and from shore.

Hey, when you wobble out of the water after a long night tide and still have 1/2 mile or more of wobbly walking on a rocky/bouldery shoreline to your truck, you'll be thankful for the ankle support.

Well said beached IMO, best post in this thread!!! ;)

I subscribe to the same school of thought.