Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
justintrask

Real Estate/Law guys - question

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

So my girlfriends property manager has done next to nothing in regards to upkeep on the apartment she is renting. Bath tub doesnt drain, no handle on the refridgerator, missing tiles, door won't lock easily sometimes, etc. He also doesn't pick up the rent check until the middle of the month, and doesn't deposit it until 3-4 weeks after that, when my girlfriend e-mails him asking him to deposit the check so she doesn't have to worry about her bank account.

Just yesterday she e-mailed him asking if he could come and fix the lock because it wasn't working again. He e-mailed back saying "I am no longer the property manager for your building. Do not contact me again"

So we are left with no contact for the property manager, and no information regarding who the landlord is. The realtor we rented the apartment through doesn't know either. We send the old "property manager" an e-mail this morning asking for this information, and his response was "Do not contact me."

What is the next step that should be taken? And is it against MA law to hold back rent due to repairs not being taken care of in a timely manner?

The biggest question right now though, is there a way to find out who the landlord of an apartment building is within the city of boston?

It should be public record at City Hall. Simply go there to the tax assessment department and look up the address of the property, and it will list the owner.

It should be public record at City Hall. Simply go there to the tax assessment department and look up the address of the property, and it will list the owner.

Agree.

As a landlord, I find this really really strange.

From my view, anything that needs to be fixed should always be fixed. Tenants do have the right to fix items like locks and other key items. She told the property mgr who is acting as an agent for the owner about the lock. If he does not fix it in a reasonable time, the tenant can fix (in your example the lock) and seek reimbursement from the owner.

I would also say, the landlord does not really care about the up keep of her building. I am very attentive to maint. and upkeep. To me it is an investment that creates cash flow as well as a person's home.

Move out of that dump...

BTW:I actually have an apt avail at the end of April too...nice 2 bedroom on 3rd floor just to the north of Boston.

Good luck

Trask, call the code enforcement officer for the town of boston, they eat this stuff up, they will make the owner's life a nightmare, or don't pay the rent,

He may very well not own it.

Since the crash there are alot of places that are not owned by banks and those institutions just aren't willing to really do anything in regards to upkeep or maintenance. They have no concept of ownership so they don't do anything.

In that situation I would find a place for most of my stuff and consider rights to the place about as much as squatters.

I would naturally presume that if the property changes hands that any and all tenats MUST be notified of said changes. That would prevent what is happening now from happening.

As for withholding rent, if you have requested repairs from the landlord/building manager with no success, you do have options. If you document all your transactions with the other party, and if the repairs are integral to the basic amenities covered by the lease, you can withhold rent UNTIL said repairs are made. You will have to pay the rent, but withholding it gives you a little bargaining power with the building management.

If the repairs are for safety issues, then you should check with an attorney to see if you can make a claim against the building and its owner.

I would also check out the lease to see what is provided under the lease. Working doors and locks are not your responsibility.

If you choose to repair anything yourself, KEEP ALL RECEIPTS and when you pay you rent send a copy of the receipt and explain that you withhold any repair money from the rent.

Heck, if they have dragged their heels in this matter, deduct any labor costs from the rent as well.

Hopefully you can get this resolved quickly and easily (in your favor)!!!

So the guy who picks up the rent check told her to no longer contact him? Free rent! What's the problem?  biggrin.gif

Or in other words don't put a check out there. I'm sure she'll find out who's taking over in no time.  wink.gif