Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
squirrel

What kind of artificial bait could I try in surf

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I'm new to surf fishing and traditionally use cut mullet or cut something I catch...or dead shrimp.  This year I'm going to look, again, for fleas.  I'm also interested in throwing some artificial.  I noticed there is an online store, RM something, listed here.  Can you guys point out a few baits that would be good to try throwing? 

fish bites if you want some whiting.

Fish Bites are also got for Spots,Specks,Flounder & Weakfish

SaltWater Assassins in the 4" size with a jig head. Did well with the Electric Chicken color )

Mirro Lures can be deadly at times

Again if your fishing down south.

Kastmasters in the silver & blue color. ( 3/4-1 oz size )

White bucktails work no matter where you are from, sound like Florida, totally guessing, but maybe doc's pompano jigs.

I fish 'down South' (Florida Panhandle) in the surf with jigs most of the time.

The albino(white on white) is my go-to color when everything else has failed. Everything and anything will hit it.

If you're targeting Pompano and Whiting, most any color of jig will work.

I also have a bucket with many 'hard' and plastics hanging around the rim which I will tie on when the 'heavies' move in.

I have lures that I learned that people 'up here' fish with such as Bluefish Bomb and Roberts Rangers that work really well 'down there'.

I also have an assortment of Mirrolures. I would have to go look at my bucket to really tell you about all the lures that have been used successfully 'down here'.

I do like a bone colored spook. C2

Spro Bucktails tipped with chartreuse 3" Swimming Mullet, kill the fluke up here (Flounder in the south) but from what I remember in Louisiana we did solid on flounder reds and even had a real big black drum on a 3" Gulp Shrimp in Nuclear Chicken......In other words, gulp is the way to go

Doa shrimp or mullet are awesome plastic baits.If your fishing the flats top water skitter walks are awesome.

Small mirror lures are great.Bucktails at inlets are deadly.Hope this helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBMike View Post

White bucktails work no matter where you are from, sound like Florida, totally guessing, but maybe doc's pompano jigs.

There's a damn good reason the US NAVY packed simple white bucktails with their old survival kits, they'll produce on just about any fish, anywhere in the world. You don't need fancy stuff, even a strip of t0**** cloth simply hooked on the hook helps produce, no need for bait, pork rind, etc. 

I've never been down there but I know people who go every year. I'm assuming you will go after puppy drum and trout. If so go with 1/8-1/4 oz jig heads, popping corks, doa shrimp, gulp shirmp/swimming mullet/jerkshad, mirro lures, redfish magic, rapala jerk baits(like a subwalk), surface poppers(mirro lure top dog, rapala surface plugs, bomber has a good one too I can't remember the name). If your on the beach for blues or spanish any kind of pink/white or shinny metal will work.

There's a damn good reason the US NAVY packed simple white bucktails with their old survival kits, they'll produce on just about any fish, anywhere in the world. You don't need fancy stuff, even a strip of t0**** cloth simply hooked on the hook helps produce, no need for bait, pork rind, etc. 

+1, nothing beats the good ol bucktail, not only the navy, but commercial fisherman use them for a reason also. Cheap, durable, and easy to make yourself.:D