Stupid Hurts but Does that Apply to Fish ( A fish report card )

Rate this topic

Juz1ish

A laboratory test in the mid 1980s showed the learning curves of popular gamefish. In the experiment, researchers measured how long it took for specific species to learn to avoid an electrical shock. Here are some of the highlights:

A

The striped bass was the class brain, ranking at the top in tests.

A-

The lowly carp also got good grades. It ranked second to the striped bass,

B

Channel catfish wasn’t far behind the striped bass and carp. A pretty good learner.

C

Largermouth rated worst among bass. Smallmouth was first followed by the spotted or Kentucky bass.

D

And you wondered why the bluegill bites so readily. It came close to flunking out.

D

The northern pike, for all its aggressive tendencies, doesn’t learn from its mistakes.

F

The yellow perch was the class dunce, ranking dead last. Researchers deemed the perch “untrainable.”

(Sourced)

| Information from the study “Comparitive Learning Ability of Selected Fishes” by D.W. Coble from “Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/17/3498052/dissecting-bass-behavior.html#.T3SdC2Nzzgs.********#storylink=cpy

A Wise Man Once said Preserve the old and Learn the New

Interesting article. I agree with the observation that some fish in the same school are dumber than others.

One day I was catching schoolies from shore and I caught the same fish on three successive casts. I could tell it was the same fish since it had a scar on one side. It barely fought on the last retrieve. Doofus.