Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sportyguy33

California lawmakers donned hoodies

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

California lawmakers don hoodies in honor of slain teen

Members of the black, Latino and Asian Pacific Islander caucuses called on the federal government to investigate the shooting death of a black teen by a neighborhood watch volunteer in Florida. Trayvon Martin was wearing a hoodie when he was killed.

By Michael J. Mishak, Los Angeles Times

March 30, 2012

advertisement

SACRAMENTO — California lawmakers donned hoodies Thursday to protest the killing of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed Florida teenager who was shot to death last month by a neighborhood watch volunteer.

At a Capitol news conference, members of the black, Latino and Asian Pacific Islander caucuses called on the federal government to intervene in the investigation and used the case to highlight the problem of racial profiling in America. One by one, lawmakers spoke from a podium draped with a hoodie and holding a can of iced tea and a bag of Skittles –- items Martin was carrying when he was shot.

"I know thousands of Trayvon Martins," said Assemblyman Steven Bradford (D-Gardena). "I know thousands of African American and Latino young men and boys who are victimized every day in America simply because of the color of their skin."

George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer, told police Martin looked suspicious because he was wearing a hoodie and admitted to shooting the teenager. He said he acted in self-defense and has not been charged.

Lawmakers were outraged by remarks from Fox News Channel commentator Geraldo Rivera that Martin's choice of clothing was as responsible for his death as Zimmerman.

"How can a young man with nothing more than candy in his hand and a soft drink be gunned down and now be accused of causing his death simply by what he was wearing, the same hoodie that Bill Belichick wears every Sunday on the sidelines of an NFL football game," Bradford said, referring to the head coach of the New England Patriots. "Why isn't he menacing? Why isn't he threatening?"

As new footage from the night of the shooting emerged showing no obvious signs of injury to Zimmerman, California legislators called on authorities to arrest and prosecute the neighborhood watch volunteer.

"This should not be done in the press. This should be done in the court of law," said Assemblyman Warren Furutani (D-Gardena). "Having this one month pass without charges being brought against this individual for shooting an unarmed young man....You can talk about schoolyard fights, about who started it, what happened. This person killed another person."

Earlier in the day, state Sen. Curren Price Jr. (D-Inglewood) presided over the state Senate in a hoodie — a nod to U.S. Rep. Bobby L. Rush (D-Ill.), who wore a hooded sweat shirt and sunglasses on the House floor Wednesday. The chamber adjourned for spring recess in memory of Martin, after half a dozen senators wearing similar garments shared personal stories of discrimination.

State Sen. Roderick Wright (D-Inglewood) said Martin had become the "21st century Emmett Till," a reference to the 14-year-old boy who was abducted, mutilated and slain in Mississippi in 1955 after he supposedly whistled at a white woman.

"God help us if, in the United States, wearing a hoodie warrants capital punishment," Wright said. "Wearing a hoodie is not a crime."

Do the Right Thing Zim Confess your guilt :idea:

I am sure Mr Zimmerman feels remorse for his actions.

Innocent, Not Guilty, or Guilty, he will have to live with the fact that he took a life.

That is not an easy burden to bear.

I am sure Mr Zimmerman feels remorse for his actions.

Innocent, Not Guilty, or Guilty, he will have to live with the fact that he took a life.

That is not an easy burden to bear.

He might as well Go live with that Other Tarnished East coast Baby Killer who has to go in hiding he has a Target on the back of his Forehead

He might as well Go live with that Other Tarnished East coast Baby Killer who has to go in hiding he has a Target on the back of his Forehead

An abortion doctor???

Don't talk in riddles.

The names of the three boys echo loudly and painfully in Hiram Lawrence's mind.

There is 3-year-old Carlos Nava, killed in his stroller.

Five-year-old Gabriel Martinez, who died clutching his father's pant leg.

And there is his own son, Hiram Jr., almost 2, shot in the head as Lawrence cradled his tiny boy and ran for cover from the bullets that are killing Oakland's children.

Hey Sporty. Where were those black, Latino and Asian Pacific Islander assbuckets when these Oakland kids were gunned down last year ??

Oh ya they were shot by Democratic voters (brothas) I forgot...........That don't count

I was refering to that some what cute young lady who was partying while her baby was missing (dead)

Forgot all about her.

She was from Fla too, right.

Lotta crazies in that state.

Is it OK to you guys in Cali that your elected leaders took time to recognize an event in another state when California's budget deficit is only exceeded by the national deficit?

Is it OK to you guys in Cali that your elected leaders took time to recognize an event in another state when California's budget deficit is only exceeded by the national deficit?

Yeah, I know. Tools/fools

Forgot all about her.

She was from Fla too, right.

Lotta crazies in that state.

Come on, we have our share out here too but most of them are imported.

Come on, we have our share out here too but most of them are imported.

Yep A lot my friends and Co workers are from Out of State. Hell I know a few who even moved back to their Original State and ended up Moving Back to Cali

CA legislators might better serve their state by worrying about murders in CA instead of grandstanding on a national stage for political gain ... Gain off one lost and one ruined life.