Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JerryV

Casting platform.

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

So I have decided to put in new casting platforms front and back. I wanted to see how others have built their own. I'm not sure where to start, but I do know what I don't want. I don't want to use carpet, and I don't want to buy the $200 sheets of plastic.

Anybody have suggestions, or pics of their own builds I could use for reference. I thought about building it out marine grade plywood and then using that non-skid paint to seal it. But having not been able to see the quality of the paint I'm a little hesitant in buying a gallon.

Thanks

what boat?

You could use a big cooler to stand on as a casting platform.

I would not use paint over plywood and expect good results.

I would probably look to glass it first and finish with non-skid paint if were permanent.

It would be for a 17' logic, and yes it would be a permeant platform. I do a lot of fly fishing so I would like to be up off the deck, less of chance for the line to get hung up on something.

Most casting platforms on flats skiffs are 18"-22" high and are made from stainless tubing and a fiberglass pad and cost $500-$600 dollars. For an inexpensive alternative you can go to a restaurant equipment supply comany and purchase an aluminum dunnage rack. These are built to hold 2000-3000lbs and only weigh about 9lbs. You would still need to put a top on it but you can use a textured plastic cutting board or starboard with anti-skid strips glued on top. The only negative is they are only 12" high. Cost of the dunnage rack is $110. For less then $150 you could have a complete homemade casting platform.

If my memory is correct Logics have a stepped down front deck. Are you simply wanting to build a new deck on top of the gunnels or even with them?

Do you or did you have a bow rail?

Thanks for the Information. There is a step down in place now but time as worked its magic on it. Its pretty beat up and cracked everywhere.

It does have that lip about 12 to 14" high that runs down the length of the boat, the hard part is finding the right material so that it looks good and last a long time

That looks pretty good, what are the dimensions for it. it's not exactly what i had in mind but it might just workout fine. I don't have a lot of room up front to play with.

This is what I'm working with.

I was looking to replace these with something similar, but without the hatch on top. Also was looking to build one in the back just to make it cleaner looking.

6883775250_61b50d1cf2.jpg

6883775472_41ae3bb13a.jpg

7029876171_3d0218651e.jpg

Take your boat to a marine fabricator that makes T-tops. Have him make a frame that will sit in the bow and put starboard on top so that it overlaps the gunnel on the edge. Anchor it by using longer bolts on the cleats and use the cleats to hold it in place and a turn buckle to the deck

I would get rid of the existing joke of a platform and leave it bare. Get a stripping barrel to manage your line(or get rid of those cleats) and call it done. You could also fabricate an aluminum fly leaning post in the bow you could put your hip into to keep you in the boat. You couldn't pay me to have raised decks in my boat and I primarily fly fish. I spend the money I do on Jones Brothers boats because I can get it without the platforms. Adding a deck in that boat will just cramp you more and give you a quicker more direct fall into the drink on a choppy day. As far are the space behind the cooler seat I think you're kinda stuck with that the way it is.

I would get rid of the existing joke of a platform and leave it bare. Get a stripping barrel to manage your line(or get rid of those cleats) and call it done. You could also fabricate an aluminum fly leaning post in the bow you could put your hip into to keep you in the boat. You couldn't pay me to have raised decks in my boat and I primarily fly fish. I spend the money I do on Jones Brothers boats because I can get it without the platforms. Adding a deck in that boat will just cramp you more and give you a quicker more direct fall into the drink on a choppy day. As far are the space behind the cooler seat I think you're kinda stuck with that the way it is.

Bob's right. You couldn't pay me to fish out of a boat with out a raised casting deck. The higher the better. I spend the money I do on Jones Brothers boats because I can get it with the platforms. Adding a deck on that boat will give you increased visibility, easier casting and a cleaner entry into the water on those hot supper days.

I agree that the higher the better, I have entertained the idea of leaving it bare. But normally I fish in water from 3- 10" and being raised up defiantly increases your visibility

I agree that the higher the better, I have entertained the idea of leaving it bare. But normally I fish in water from 3- 10" and being raised up defiantly increases your visibility

If you remove your existing platform and put in nothing you will still be higher up in that boat than you would in a jones brothers with a platform. I think Wendell read my post wrong. I hate boats with raised decks personally. I can live with decks in a 3 piece constructed larger size boat but no way in a little 2 piece boat like yours.

IMO you are wasting your time, money and cutting your space by having any platform in that boat with it;s already limited space. You are up high enough already. Get something to manage your line or get rid of those cleats up in the bow (terrible location) and go fish.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.