Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vardpet

live lining bunker with braid line

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I was live lining bunker with braid line on my spinning setup when I saw big bass came out and started chasing my bunker on top of the water. I believe I left slack of the line too big and when the bunker started making circles the fish messed up my line in his fins or tail so when I tried to setup the hook I didn't feel anything, the line broke so easy like I had nothing out there. Never happened to me when I was live lining with mono. Another thing when fish starts going after your bunker you want to keep him moving free so fish will not feel your line and that's why sometimes when they circling on top of the water they making slacks, that may brake your line. But if you keep the line little tight sometimes when the fish is picky they may play with the bunker and drop it because they will feel your line,

Its always probable that indeed the line wrapped around the fish as you describe.  But I have personally witnessed many of my fishin' buddies snap 60 lbs. braid when setting up on a fish when we are soakin' fresh chunks, either using a conventional reel or a spinner, not dead-sticking but when holding the rig.  If the line is not completely taught when setting up and even the slightest of slack is evident the braid will break.  Braid has absolutely no stretch.  Its like the old bar room trick with the stirring straw, you can twist it, pull on it to try to break it in half and it wont break, but the trick to snapping the straw is just push in to create a little slack and pull back quickly and it breaks.  Don't get me wrong, it could happen with mono also as we all know, but given there is stretch giving the line some "forgiveness" and depending on the test strength its less probable the mono will break like the braid.  I only use mono when bait fishing or live lining, and have braid on all my plugging sticks.

My friend breaks 65# Braided line with his bare hands - many SOL members have witnessed him do this (he's the owner/mate on the Ocean Eagle in Sheepshead Bay). He wraps the line around his hands a few time, puts slack and just pops it. He's obviously strong as hell, but he cannot break it until he puts the slack and jerks it, if he straigh tpulls he can't do it - the shock is what pops it

Have been fishing braid for bass (livelining and chunking) from boat and beach and have never had any of those problems. Maybe a bad batch of braid or fishing too much drag? Why would you set the hook on a fish if you are not tight to it?

First off, did you have a fluro or mono leader? If not, add that to your set up. Secondly, it is much easier to work a livlined bait with a conventional. Once you try it, you won't want to go back to a spinner for livelining . Just some insight from my experiences.

Your right, but the thought related to braid is that although strong and reliable, without stretch it is ridged and unforgiving so if even the slightest of slack or when just a little anxious to setup and you drop the tip even a half inch on the setup that could be enough to break off, and more likely to occur if using a ridged graphite compared to a lami that has a little more bend to it on the setup.

LOL.....thanks for the insight.  I fish conventional on the beach with bait - dead or alive.  Spinning for plugging and it is a "rookie" mistake not to use some form of leader either "shock" or wire.  Have been for "years".  Been practicing throwing large metal-lips for the last few seasons on the conventional's too.  Quite the experience on top-water when a big fish comes up and you whack it on a conventional rig with a plug.....just some insight from experience...its awesome.

I have freeline with a spinner for yrs and never had a problem :D and this sounds like user error, don't get me wrong we all have gone thru it..

also what type of hook are you using and where are you placing it ??

I fish with braid and depending on where i'm fishing my leader goes from 50lb up to 80lb .... circle hook and once the line goes tight i reel.. its the KISS system and you can't beat it..

oh i have had a snook give up on a live bait fish just because he felt the leader... and snooks arent easy by no means... damn things are scared of their own shadow...:shock:

LMAO about Snook - my 14 year old friend was in Florida 2 days ago and posted a video on FB of him holding a filet on the surface and 20# Snook coming up and wackin git over and over and over again. I can't post the link because FB is blocked on SOL.