Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crazybellringer

Recovery strap / tow chain mount.

49 posts in this topic

Made this up for the truck to pickup heavy trench drain covers at the church. Used a 5" drop hitch and a 1500lb. boat winch. I welded it on upside down to give me more height. It cost a total of 79.00 for the 2 piece's at Lowes. After I made in, I thought it would work well on the beach :)

[img=

a><a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3346185/width/600/height/338' alt='338'>

Forgot to mention I had to shorten the crank arm to clear the bumper

I put a hitch on my Subaru just to have a safe tow point for when I got stuck. I put a D shackle in place of the ball and carried a 6000lb nylon snatch strap. I figured if someone was kind enough to offer assistance I could at least have all else needed to get out. In 9 years I used this 3 times but I was the one yanking others out of the sand. :)

Tow hooks or receiver hitch in the front, receiver hitch in the back. I really try and avoid towing. I'll help dig first.

Toasters have tow hooks? ;)

I upgrade my toaster. Have a beach pass got the equipment but i wanted to make sure i got the right part for my hitch. I was at pep boys and they only had ball hitch and hook hitches. I need to order something on line and i wanted the experts to chime in.

I put a hitch on my Subaru just to have a safe tow point for when I got stuck. I put a D shackle in place of the ball and carried a 6000lb nylon snatch strap. I figured if someone was kind enough to offer assistance I could at least have all else needed to get out. In 9 years I used this 3 times but I was the one yanking others out of the sand. :)

How do you know the d shackle is heavy duty enough?

How do you know the d shackle is heavy duty enough?

Well I guess I misspoke, it's not a D shackle it's a 3/4" anchor shackle and if it's not heavy duty enough I'm in real trouble!:DP1010776.jpg

If you bend the clevis bolt, you won't get it out.

Exactly. What you want is a receiver hook

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3352155/width/400/height/400]

Bellringer if you give me the specs my hardware store probably has the receiver in stock, probably has the hook too. You come up next Friday, we pick it up and put it on and get you all ready to go.

And you can help me put my receivers back on the front of my truck :laugh:

If you bend the clevis bolt, you won't get it out.

I can't imagine bending a 3/4" clevis bolt with a nylon snatch strap while getting pulled out of soft sand, but I do like the receiver hook.

I can't imagine bending a 3/4" clevis bolt with a nylon snatch strap while getting pulled out of soft sand, but I do like the receiver hook.

I've actually broke one of those anchor shackles.

First attempt the chain snapped, and then the second attempt the shackle broke.

But I don't think they are rated to use for a Freightliner to pull a forklift out of lose gravel :laugh:

Use a 1" shackle if you're worried. We used a 1" threaded bolt shackle and a 3" braided nylon rope to snatch stuck farm machinery. Pulled 15 ton combines out of mud holes when they were sitting on their frames. Using a 250 hp 4WD tractor as the puller I've choked the tractor out, busted the rope, and sunk myself more times than I like to think about. But I never bent the 1" bolt. You'll bend or shear the lynch pin in your receiver mount or bust the strap first. And I dare say you'd snap either of those hooks before you'd bend a 1" shackle.