Deep frying a turkey

Rate this topic

The wings and legs are going to get crispy on a larger bird because of the longer cook time. I've heard people will remove them, and fry them separately. You just need to make sure you're careful with the skin when you remove them, so that you don't pull the skin off and have the oil get under the skin.

My relatives who live in the south swear by old bay dry rub and injecting it with italian dressing. I don't think either are necessary for a quality bird, and usually don't bother with the injections or a rub. But there are a lot of injection marinade recipes out there these days, and I'm sure some of them do add some nice flavor.

I dunno....Ive tried them on several occasions at others homes and gatherings. Maybe I just havent eaten one cooked by someone who really knows what thier doing, because I still prefer the roast bird myself. The fried ones Ive tried have seemed over cooked to me (crunchy and tough), and kinda 'greasy'.

I dunno....Ive tried them on several occasions at others homes and gatherings. Maybe I just havent eaten one cooked by someone who really knows what thier doing, because I still prefer the roast bird myself. The fried ones Ive tried have seemed over cooked to me (crunchy and tough), and kinda 'greasy'.

I think most people do end up over cooking the turkey when cooking it this way. Better to fry a smaller turkey , and when fried correctly they are really good.

My relatives who live in the south swear by old bay dry rub and injecting it with italian dressing. I don't think either are necessary for a quality bird, and usually don't bother with the injections or a rub.

Rubs are worse than a waste of time. The turkey is in hot oil for 35 minutes, any rub just burns, adding a bad taste to the oil. Injections can add flavor, but Italian dressing - who wants a turkey that tastes like a salad? A simple overnight brine with salt and apple juice is all that is needed. Fried right, the meat will be moist and tender and the crispy skin will be addictive.

"My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention."
Hedley Lamar
"It wasn't the bullet that laid him to rest, was the low spark of high-heeled boys"
Jim Capaldi & Steve Winwood

My relatives who live in the south swear by old bay dry rub and injecting it with italian dressing. I don't think either are necessary for a quality bird, and usually don't bother with the injections or a rub.

Rubs are worse than a waste of time. The turkey is in hot oil for 35 minutes, any rub just burns, adding a bad taste to the oil. Injections can add flavor, but Italian dressing - who wants a turkey that tastes like a salad? A simple overnight brine with salt and apple juice is all that is needed. Fried right, the meat will be moist and tender and the crispy skin will be addictive.

Yeah, I don't even bother brining it. We fried two turkeys one year, and did a brine on one and no brine on the other. I couldn't tell the difference. The brined one was maybe a touch more salty, but that was about it.

OK I've been doing turkeys for about 10 years now. Really can't mess it up if you ask me. I have been using cottonseed oil lately. I do put on a rub and marinde with the creole butter marinade. Don't know why everyone says the oil splatters so much. Doesn't happen to me. I always dry the turkey as much as possible and lower it slowly. Minute or so is fine. Take the bird out of the fridge about 20 to 25 minutes before frying to warm up. It will not drop the oil temps much at all. Once you get up to around 350 just watch the temps. You have to stay with the fryer to control the temps. Small adjustments is all it takes. It's easy as can be. I usually fry the bird at a temp mostly around 340 or so then the last 10 minutes bring it up to 350 to crisp the skin. 3 1/2 minutes a pound. Skin is not burnt at all, nice and crispy.

Most important thing is not to do too big a bird. It's gotta be under 14 pounds! Make sure the neck area is clear so the oil can drain out as you start to pull out the bird.

I usually do one, take it out and tent it then do another. By the time you heat the oil, take the first one out, put the second one in, it takes about 1:50 to do 13.5 pound two birds give or take a minute or two. Gives you time to have a nice beer or two while your outside and the inlaws are getting on each others nerves inside!

I do the oil-less fryer thing now. No more high priced peanut oil that is only good for a couple birds. I bought this oil-less fryer last year for less than 3 boxes of peanut oil. It has paid for itself multiple times.

What's your secret Paymaster? The birds I have seen come out of the 'Big Easy' have been very uneven in color from light tan, to golden, to BLACK all on the same bird. That's what's kept me from grabbing one of those cookers. Yours looks AWESOME!

I was in charge of frying two birds this year, both about 12.5 lbs, and they came out nicely. I did them for 40 minutes each at 350, although the second one spent a good 12 minutes around 325 because the oil just wouldn't heat up. I should have taken it out of the fridge with the first bird, but it was a last minute decision to fry it up. They went fast!

What's your secret Paymaster? Yours looks AWESOME!

He invented the thing and puts an oil-fried turkey in the picture to sell more of them...(Just Kidding...!) :beers:

I really want to know more about this oil-less fryer - does it cook at the same rate as an oil fried bird? If no, what is the cooking time? I'd really like to cook 2 small birds for T-day, one roasted for the drippings and the stuffing and one for the added character of the fried birds.

I've had fried turkeys made by others for years and the only thing that I really do miss is the gravy.

I've been tempted to buy a frying set up for not only turkey, but for large-batch buffalo wings, hush puppies, fritters, etc....

And thanks to those who chimed in on the types of oils that they're using - I didn't realize peanuts were an endangered species until I saw the price of the oil....(yeesh!)

"When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence."