Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GeoGreco

Deep frying a turkey

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

For the first time i'm going to deep fry a turkey, should i brine the turkey? Flavor inject? How much oil is needed. Can i use oil ther then peanut? It's a 13lb bird and it's going in a 30 gallon pot.

Thanks

For the first time i'm going to deep fry a turkey, should i brine the turkey? Flavor inject? How much oil is needed. Can i use oil ther then peanut? It's a 13lb bird and it's going in a 30 gallon pot.

Thanks

Be careful.

Aside from Rav's helpful (and obvious) advice.......

As to how much oil..........unwrap you turkey and place it on the hanger mechanism in the pot you are going to fry it in. Fill the pot with WATER until it reaches to almost the top of the bird (about 1/2 inch below the tip is okay.)

Remove the bird and the hanger, being sure to drain all the water back into the pot. Take a measurement of the water in the pot, and that is the amount of oil you need.

As to brining.......for deep frying, probably not necessary. Injecting with an herbed/flavored butter/oil is good though.

Be sure your bird is as DRY AS POSSIBLE before lowering it into the hot oil......hot oil and water = splatters and violent boiling.

Lowering the bird into the oil is best done by two people so you don't have to hunker over the pot of hot oil. Get a very stout stick and thread it thru the hanger, and then have one person on each end and lower the bird into the oil VERY SLOWLY....take your time, it might take 2-3 minutes to get it all the way submerged to avoid any boil over.

And have a fire extinguisher handy just in case..........NOT A HOSE, as spraying water on a grease fire is just asking for disaster.

As to oil type, while peanut oil is preferred by most, any fairly flavorless vegetable oil that can withstand fairly high heat is okay as well.

I have used both canola and peanut. 30 gallon or 30 qt? Be very careful with any water on or in the bird it will causse massive splatter to explosion when it hits the oil. Make sure to keep a sharp eye on your oil temp- 350, no higher. The fire extinguisher is a good idea- oven mitts or grill gloves are also handy.

In the spirit of safety I'd like to reiterate what Steve suggested.

Dry bird as MUCH as possible and don't forget the cavity.

We use a hockey stick to suspend the bird as we lower it into the oil. 2 people, far enough away from the oil, and do it slowly.

Do NOT do this on a deck, in a garage, or anywhere near your house for that matter.

Do NOT have kids playing nearby.

Do have a fire extinguisher handy.

Once the bird is in the oil you should post a sentry. Do NOT leave it unattended.

You are talking about a couple of gallons of VERY hot oil. It will catch fire or burn someone beyond comprehension.

Enjoy!

Pretty sure he meant 30 quart, as that is kinda the standard size pot that comes with most turkey fryer kits, and is the size of the one I have.

And Mike made an excellent comment that I forgot, about ALWAYS attending it.........don't walk away, even for a second, as seconds become minutes before you know it, and then ya say "Aw ****!......"

Be sure you have the time for undivided attention before putting that bird in the oil.

In the spirit of safety I'd like to reiterate what Steve suggested.

Dry bird as MUCH as possible and don't forget the cavity.

We use a hockey stick to suspend the bird as we lower it into the oil. 2 people, far enough away from the oil, and do it slowly.

Do NOT do this on a deck, in a garage, or anywhere near your house for that matter.

Do NOT have kids playing nearby.

Do have a fire extinguisher handy.

Once the bird is in the oil you should post a sentry. Do NOT leave it unattended.

You are talking about a couple of gallons of VERY hot oil. It will catch fire or burn someone beyond comprehension.

Enjoy!

Serious advice right there ands above!!!!!

I bought a Charbroil Big Easy Oil less fryer and I am tickled to death with it. No more high priced oil and the turkeys I have cooked in it are outstanding.

Make sure the turkey aint frozen.

:laugh:........But also a fairly good point, as it should be completely thawed with not a hint of ice still on it or in the flesh.

:laugh:........But also a fairly good point, as it should be completely thawed with not a hint of ice still on it or in the flesh.

You'd be surprised how offten that is done around here.

lower the turkey into the oil with two people SLOWLY, and make sure the person helping you isn't going to panic and drop the bird if a small amount of hot oil splashes out of the fryer onto them

do not attempt to fry in any part of your home or covered structure

do not attempt to fry if there is a chance of rain

have a plan for murphy