Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

8 Quarts of Golden Goodness

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Since today is trash day, yesterday I decided to empty out the freezer, much of the space being taken up by saved stuff to make stock with. I ended up with about 10 pounds of various frozen chicken and turkey bones, necks, wing tips, and stuff that was saved over the past few months. That all went in a huge pot with about 3 gallons of spring water, along with various veggie scraps, and simmered for a few hours.

After getting all the spent bones out of it and in the trash (which went out this AM), and then straining the broth thru a sieve, I was left with about 10 quarts of this:

[img=

That was parked in the fridge overnight so that the fat would separate, and this morning, it looked like this:

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3344447/width/600/height/450]

Spooned off all the fat on top, and ended up with nearly a quart of schmaltz:

[img=

And this is what was left, which is on the stove simmering to reduce it to about 7-8 quarts

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3344455/width/600/height/450]

Later, that will be allowed to cool, then strained again thru a finer sieve, and stored in quart and pint containers in the freezer.........should be good for great chicken stock for the next few months...........:)

Do you cook with the schmaltz?

Not often, but I don't often make stuff that would call for it. I would think certain types of dumplings could benefit from it though.

As to smoking it, one would think that would get pretty messy......on the smoker, would cause flare ups.....In EZ Widers, aside from having a greasy mess, one would probably end up torching one's beard.....:eek:

;)

Unfortunately, the schmaltz from a big batch of chicken stock like this is not as "clean" as when you just render it from chicken skin and fat. The stuff I skimmed off the pot contains a lot of embedded coagulated protein and such, and as such is pretty "cloudy".

Perhaps once it hardens in the freezer, I could render it again and maybe clean it up, but not sure it is really worth the effort.

Unfortunately, the schmaltz from a big batch of chicken stock like this is not as "clean" as when you just render it from chicken skin and fat. The stuff I skimmed off the pot contains a lot of embedded coagulated protein and such, and as such is pretty "cloudy".

Perhaps once it hardens in the freezer, I could render it again and maybe clean it up, but not sure it is really worth the effort.

I don't know enough about schmaltz to have an informed opinion, but I gotta believe the stuff you take off chicken soup has to be a close second to what is depicted.

I'm serious. I have not had it in a couple of years.

I tried some a while ago and didn't really care for it.

It was actually at Harolds, the place where TomT was supposed to take me to lunch on his expense account. :shun: