Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FISH BUCKET

better line lay

11 posts in this topic

i really like the battle series of reels,

yet i can't understand why penn didn't put a nicer line lay system on them.

i've got 3 and on none of them does the line wrap top to bottom

it is frustrating to see cheaper reels from competiters with much better line wrap.

will this be addressed on your new reel?

i really like the battle series of reels,

yet i can't understand why penn didn't put a nicer line lay system on them.

i've got 3 and on none of them does the line wrap top to bottom

it is frustrating to see cheaper reels from competiters with much better line wrap.

will this be addressed on your new reel?

Fish Bucket,

Just curious, what kind of line are you using, mono/braid, what lb test?

tony

Same problem as the Slammers & Sargus, etc. Braid 30# (TufLine, TufLine Xp, Jerry Brown), or Fireline #20, doesn't matter. Compare the Penn's line lay to a Tica Scepter or Stradic & you will NOT see a gap at the top of the spool or the bottom.

[img=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3344659/width/600/height/450]

Just look up High Plains Drifter's posts for pictures & additional info.

Manny

Good to see pics and keeping this topic relevant g man, :th::th: Hopefully Penn can do something about these problems. I have been extremely disappointed with the line lay on my Penn's, especially the Slammer/ liveliner models and two 550ssg's i recently bought. I noticed the Penn rep asked what pound test a user was using, this should have no relevance if and that's the key( if) a spinners spool stroke is accurate and the design is sound.

On certain competitors reels i have spooled braid from 8 pound to 40 pound and the reel spooled them perfectly with full even coverage from top to bottom. I get far more erratic results regardless of spooling method with my brand new 550 ssg reels and my Slammer /liveliner models.

The biggest issue is what you have described, a small gap at the top and bottom of the spools that the outgoing line gets hung up on and causes all types of issues including drastically cutting down on distance and getting stuck and pulling more line off with it. These reels also suffer from the terrible( reel once and replace gears) Penn needs to offer up better gears for this popular size reel . If they can remedy these issues, i would be back on the bandwagon, i always loved Penn and fished them exclusively up until a few years ago when i just got to the point of total disgust.

After purchasing a Captiva for my father (what a mistake) i took it apart and was floored at the internals, i actually didn't even bother to fix it and i apologized to him saying this isn't a Penn reel, Penn doesn't make crap like this. Otto Henze would be shameful at most of the stuff that now wears the proud Penn logo. The Torque is a step in the right direction though

Cnn:

Agreed on the Penn reels. I always dunk so I gave up on the other nicer line laying reels + I can't afford a ZB or VS. Thus I am left with few choices & have successfully used Slammers due to the ease of use of self servicing/ semi packing as well as their affordability. The gears are another story & I'm just waiting for it to go on my older Slammer.

HPD 's old post on wind knots (a must read & many thanks to HPD) really helped me out. I usually try to use Fireline 20# on my 710s & Slammers since it's stiffness (IMHO) helps to 1- avoid knots & 2- if you do get one I find it easier to un-knot than regular braid. Another key for me is to glance down as I pick up the line before each cast (I know it's PIA) to make sure the line is ok on the spool. Of course, making it making it manual bail is a must & a 10 sec operation (thank you Penn).

The line lay issue really so obvious when you look at a Tica Scepter, Stradic, & of course the JDM reels.

Actually I just wish Penn would take the design of the Nautile & morph it with a Battle/ Slammer. They were great casting line laying reels but with crappy gears. Forget the sealed box, just have a side plate you can screw off (Penn 704/710) & clean/ lube it/ pack it once a month. A 4:7 or 5:1 gear ratio & you are done.

Penn are you listening?

All the best - Manny

Cnn:

Agreed on the Penn reels. I always dunk so I gave up on the other nicer line laying reels + I can't afford a ZB or VS. Thus I am left with few choices & have successfully used Slammers due to the ease of use of self servicing/ semi packing as well as their affordability. The gears are another story & I'm just waiting for it to go on my older Slammer.

HPD 's old post on wind knots (a must read & many thanks to HPD) really helped me out. I usually try to use Fireline 20# on my 710s & Slammers since it's stiffness (IMHO) helps to 1- avoid knots & 2- if you do get one I find it easier to un-knot than regular braid. Another key for me is to glance down as I pick up the line before each cast (I know it's PIA) to make sure the line is ok on the spool. Of course, making it making it manual bail is a must & a 10 sec operation (thank you Penn).

The line lay issue really so obvious when you look at a Tica Scepter, Stradic, & of course the JDM reels.

Actually I just wish Penn would take the design of the Nautile & morph it with a Battle/ Slammer. They were great casting line laying reels but with crappy gears. Forget the sealed box, just have a side plate you can screw off (Penn 704/710) & clean/ lube it/ pack it once a month. A 4:7 or 5:1 gear ratio & you are done.

Penn are you listening?

All the best - Manny

Your absolutely right you really can't dunk some of the nicer reels that have great line lay and worm driven oscillation systems. I found that out the hard way on a few occasions and i had to disassemble every part, but even doing that i had to order quite a few new parts anyways . The Penn's are simple and reliable and if i had to dunk a non sealed reel it would be the Penns. Regarding Windknots, they are not caused by the diameter of the line, although a thin diameter can be more difficult to control, and it will tend to dig in more if the reel your using has poor spooling tendencies. It is never the direct cause of them though.

Windknots are caused by not paying attention to the line crossing over the top of the spool and overfilling a spool, those are the two biggies and can be avoided .

The other two are throwing a very light offering after throwing heavier stuff which will wrap the line on the spool much looser and if you don't use your hand to control the tension you will have problems, but without a doubt imo the biggest problem of all is a reel that has inconsistent line lay issues that causes small gaps at the top and bottom of the spool.

I have tried everything imaginable to correct this ( even trying some of HPDs ideas and nothing has worked) the bottom line is, you can do the first three and it won't make a huge difference if your reel keeps leaving gaps on the top and bottom.

I will say once i spooled up a Sustain everything was a OK again. I spooled 8 pound up to 40 just to see how it would spool different diameter's of line, happy to say it spooled all of them flawlessly. If a reel has full even coverage and no issues with leaving gaps it will spool any size line, within reason, flawlessly. If Penn can get similar line lay they would be fantastic, especially with more durable main and pinion gears.

Anyways i hope you have a successful 2012 and be safe out there;);):wave:

Thanks - you are right about the # line not mattering. It's the stroke of the bail not going from top to the bottom of the spool.

Ditto on 2012 for you all the rest of SOL .. all the best.

Manny

Ever seen the line lay on a VS? Looks alot worse than the way some penns lay line. I have never had a problem with the way my battle lays line. Nor have I had many issues with wind knots. I don't own any of the SS models or slammers so I cannot comment on those, though it seems most think they lay line horribly.

KontGuilty --

That Battle's line lay looks pretty good so you may have a winner in your particular reel as I have seen my friends that's no bargain.

BTW -- one oldie I forgot about is a Daiwa SS2600 -- great long distance spool design & good line lay.

Cheers - manny