Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
speckhunter80

Hey Bobby V....

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya. I know it is from Schilling but still:

Former Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling has voiced serious concerns about the team's new manager Bobby Valentine, saying he is already falling out of favor with the players.

Speaking on radio station WEEI, Schilling said he had spoken to a number of players who were unhappy about Valentine's approach.

"I thought that the manager that managed the Mets that I was not a big fan of was now going to be a different manager, and I don't think there's anything different at all," Schilling said. "And I don't think that that is going to be conducive to doing well here.

"There's a lot of things I think that are happening not just from his perspective, but when you talk to these guys -- and I'm still talking to some of these guys -- I don't think this is going well. And I think it's going bad quicker than I expected it to."

Valentine, returning to Major League Baseball for the first time since he managed the Mets in 2002, replaced Terry Francona, who parted ways with Boston in September following one of the worst late-season collapses by a team in recent history.

But Francona left big shoes to fill after winning two World Series titles during his eight years in Boston, including the franchise's first championship in more than 80 years.

"One of [Francona's] strengths I think was understanding that to be a great big league manager, you don't have to know when to hit and run, bunt and change pitchers as much as you need to manage people," Schilling added.

"You're interacting with your players on a very different level, on a very different scale. And I think [managing people] becomes the most important trait, characteristic of a manager.

"... I always feel like Bobby's trying to re-invent the game. I don't think players have ever responded well to that."

Valentine has 15 years of overseeing big league clubs under his belt. He led the Mets to the National League pennant in 2000, and went 536-467 in his six-plus seasons in New York from 1996-2002. Valentine also managed the Texas Rangers from 1985-1992.

"... I always feel like Bobby's trying to re-invent the game. I don't think players have ever responded well to that."

Valentine has 15 years of overseeing big league clubs under his belt. He led the Mets to the National League pennant in 2000, and went 536-467 in his six-plus seasons in New York from 1996-2002.

I dunno, the players seemed to respond OK when he was wiht the Mets. Jus tlook at the records of the coaches before/after

Jeff Torborg: .425

DAllas Green: .447

Bobby V: .534

Art howe .424

Will randolph: .544

Jerry Manuel: .489

He was doing something right..at least compared to everone else that ran the MEts

15 years.... one pennant in 2000 with the Mets and the next year they finished in 3rd with a 82-80 record and in 2002 they finished in last with a 75-86 record 26.5 games out of first

so curt you think the red sox players are capable of running the clubhouse? you must have a short memory....with a few exceptions this team consists of a bunch of overpaid, spoiled pissants. give them a so-called players manager and what did they do last season....bobby v is what's needed here and now- until farrell gets here in 2 years. i will have an awfully hard time rooting for this collection of brats. i'll always root for the laundry but not most of these players.rather pull for a younger less talented team that plays hard and cares. beckett and gonzo (mr clucthless) would be first to go.

Players should play, managers should manage, if everyone does their job, nobody has a problem. Bobby V forgot more baseball than any of his players will ever know, however, it only counts what he does today, its a business measured by wins, thats what he has to do. Shilling is a blabbermouth. Maybe its time some of these big shot players find out its not all about them, its about winning.

Once again you have managed to stick your big foot in your humungous mouth. Start kissing some Youk and PD butt.

Yup, and this one isn't going to die fast.

Pedroia ends by saying "Maybe this stuff works in Japan". :rolleyes: There's the first shot across the bow.

I dunno, the players seemed to respond OK when he was wiht the Mets. Jus tlook at the records of the coaches before/after

Jeff Torborg: .425

DAllas Green: .447

Bobby V: .534

Art howe .424

Will randolph: .544

Jerry Manuel: .489

He was doing something right..at least compared to everone else that ran the MEts

I think Bobby can excel at making the most of limited resources because he does have a good mind for the game. However, with a team like the Sox where you have a lot of talent- (though their pitching is suspect)- and the resources to get more, you really have to know how to manage personalities- I'm not sure Bobby will be content to assume this sort of role. He seems to like to tinker (meddle) and I can see that getting players nerves- especially when they have already had a good deal of success.

As a Yankee fan, I actually hope Bobby succeeds (to a point, obviously). He's annoying and fun to root against.

Maybe Valentine figures if he sits Youkalis for half the games now, he might be able to stay on the field past August?

Would love to see him shipped out of town for a decent pitcher.