Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mofish

chicken scratch and wonder bread patterns

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

I was wondering what are these two patterns suppose to imate :confused:? When i look to buy plugs to stick to simple color and bait fish patterns.

Would also love to picture of bass taken with WB and SC patterns.

Chicken scratch is known to be a great mullet imitation but yellow and white is a time tested classic color combo.

I'm a big fan of wonder bread. My guess is it may look like that "rainbowesque" shine that comes off of shiny bait fish like sand eels but probably not.

At the RI fishing expo the builder of PT plugs believed his wonder bread pencils were a great daytime squid imitation. His style of wonder bread plugs have small dots all over the plug; opposed to the splotches of color on the side of the plug like bomber and others make.

Chicken scratch is a perfect imitation for sea bacon. Everyone loves bacon and fish love sea bacon. it's always better with bacon. It's the only rational explanation for why that pattern works so well.

White with red head is a perennial favorite; have caught lots of fish on that combo myself but don't recall ever seeing anything in the water that looks like it.

Wonder bread mimics the iridescent belly and side of some fish (bunker)...I always thought it was a ridiculous color scheme until I used it and caught fish ;)

Don't don't have to imitate anything in particular, just look like something good to eat. Also, consider what a fish sees when it looks up at a school of thousands of baitfish that all look exactly the same, a plug sticks out, gets their attention and is a much easier target.

Don't overthink it... They work.

wish I had more for ya, but it's just one of those facts of life.

medics right. it the old yellow SS darter argument from montauk.

Are they that great a plug or is it because we think its a great plug and there fore there are 10 X more of then in the water. I remember when the new bottle darter guys came out, some monster fish were taken on them and the next week more guys threw them so more big fish were on them. I fish the NS of LI a lot and you can be out with twenty guys, all throwing chx scrt bombers, someone catches and it is successful. Like Medic says throw it and enjoy

The chicken scratych is simply a great color combo. The yellow/white broken up bhy teh scratch lines. The wonderbread (IMHO) is simply any color for any light condition. Kind of like a color spectrum for bass.

Both color combos work but if I had to choose one it would be the chicken scratch.

the thing I like about shicken scratch is.......the yellow. For whatever reason Ive had great sucess over the years with yellow. I al ways have yellow, CS, school bus in my bag.

I never fished the wodner bread much, not sure why, but white works. I have a couple little wooden swimemrs all white that put fish on the beach consitently.

Don't don't have to imitate anything in particular, just look like something good to eat. Also, consider what a fish sees when it looks up at a school of thousands of baitfish that all look exactly the same, a plug sticks out, gets their attention and is a much easier target.

the thing I like about shicken scratch is.......the yellow. For whatever reason Ive had great sucess over the years with yellow. I al ways have yellow, CS, school bus in my bag.

I never fished the wodner bread much, not sure why, but white works. I have a couple little wooden swimemrs all white that put fish on the beach consitently.

Wonderbread also has yellow in it :) Works in freshwater too. Have not tried chicken scratch in freshwater, maybe I should!

Jigman