Bucktai roung head

Rate this topic

vardpet

I bought 2 oz bucktails with round head. Started surf fishing for stripers. Never had any luck using them until I decided to make them lighter, I just filed down the heads, I made it sharper and then I started catching a lot of fish. Maybe the way the move in the water with round head and sharp head is different, probably water resistance against the bucktails head makes the difference.

You don't have to file.Lead is super easy to alter by heat or even a hammer or a pair of tin snips. There are many different jig head types so i would recommend just purchasing the correct shape and size. Working with lead is no joke especially melting it etc... dangerous stuff.

I have an area I fish with buck tails . Never had luck until I scaled down to 3/4 oz or A 1/2 oz. First off I was using 1-2 oz the depth of water just was not enough. I believe you should try a full range of sizes Instead of the file.Like XBMX had mentioned

I'll tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.

Jim Morrison 

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.

I make and use a variety of bucktails.

They vary by weight, shape, and size for what the fish/conditions dictate.

I can make a mold in no time at all using Bondo or Silicone (RTV) by shaping a 'master' with a file, heat or whatever. I even whittle one from a piece of wood if necessary. C2

Pay it Forward- George(Gowge) Pope RIP

You don't have to file.Lead is super easy to alter by heat or even a hammer or a pair of tin snips. There are many different jig head types so i would recommend just purchasing the correct shape and size. Working with lead is no joke especially melting it etc... dangerous stuff.

one of my favorite light buck tails is taking a smiling bill ( flaming lips) head and using a cutter to shear of the entire bottom lip.

"It is an art performed on a four-count rhythm between ten and two o'clock"

You also don't want to be filing lead...the lead will go airborne and you will breathe it in. It's a really dumb thing to do...just sayin.

I don't know what you're filing with but the file that I use produces 'chunks' which I collect and put into the melting pot.

You can also use a rasp which has coarse teeth and should present no problem. . JMHO C2

Pay it Forward- George(Gowge) Pope RIP

Assuming this is a legitimate post and not an attempt to build numbers in order to buy something in the BST......the answer is not to modify heavy heads to lighter and reshape them but to buy the correct head weight and shape. They make lighter heads then 2oz in a shad head designs, bullet heads, arrowhead, and flathead. All of these have a sharper profile then a round head jig.

Assuming this is a legitimate post and not an attempt to build numbers in order to buy something in the BST......the answer is not to modify heavy heads to lighter and reshape them but to buy the correct head weight and shape. They make lighter heads then 2oz in a shad head designs, bullet heads, arrowhead, and flathead. All of these have a sharper profile then a round head jig.

was wondering the same thing, lots of questionable posts in a short time.:confused:

Back when the vast selection of jig heads was available when the current was strong and I wanted to go deeper I would beat a round jig head with a hammer on a solid surface flattening it like a coin. Penny jigs, went down fast. For slower I would pour my own in a spoon from the kitchen hold the hook with pliers til it hardened. Then I had ate frosted flakes with the spoon, before we knew the danger of lead, explains my present mental state. Spoon jig with bucktail and squid was a killer for BIG flounder.

M

i am not filing them to sharp point, just to decrease the weight and make it something like triangle head, this way when you retrieve you feel less resistance against the water. another thing you can buy them with sharp head also, i just said it worked for me because i had round heads only and i modified them because i had nothing else in my tackle box.